It's a 7 p.m. tip for the Dallas Mavericks on the road tonight, with the pregame show featuring Fish and Bob Ortegel in the studio and Mark Followill and Derek Harper in Memphis beginning at 6:30 on Fox Sports Southwest.
The Starting Lineups
|HORNETS 8-27||MAVS 21-15|
|F- Trevor Ariza||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Gustavo Ayon||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- Chris Kaman||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Marco Belinelli||G- Vince Carter|
|G- Grevis Vasquez||G- Jason Kidd|
The Hornets Offense
• Pick/pops are a huge part of the offense with Chris Kaman now that they are so beat up with Landry and Okafor out.
• They like to post up Kaman. And 'The Ianimal' likes to "pull the chair'' from him:
• Weak side players do a good job of cutting to the basket on post entries.
• Even without Okafor, this is a very good offensive rebounding team.
The Hornets Defense
• They are not very good on ball defenders, especially bench players. Lots of chances here for Roddy B to turn the corner on defenders, and for Jet to break out of slump by not settling.
• Hornets give up a lot of drives and do not do a good job of helping, as seen here:
• The Hornets 5th in Opp. Rebounds/Game at 40.6
• Shawn Marion has struggled a bit on offense during this three-game losing streak, shooting 28.9 percent while averaging 8.7 points.
• The Mavs have proven they can handle NO even without a healthy Dirk. Dallas beat New Orleans 96-81 on Jan. 7 despite 10 points and 2-for-11 shooting from Nowitzki. On Jan. 21 the Mavs won again, 83-81, as Nowitzki sat out with a sore right knee.
How to Beat the Hornets
• PLAY – Dallas is superior to this team and need to play the way. This team needs to re-focus. It seems to be distracted since the Break.
• PINE TIME – Dirk is expected to give it a go. That deepens the Mavs bench. Meanwhile, the Hornets are beat up. (Now comes word that Ariza may not play.) The Mavericks bench must dominate.
• DRIVE TIME– NO is not a good defensive team on the perimeter. Put the ball on floor instead of settling for jump shots.
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games. Again, catch Fish and Bob Ortegel for the Fox Sports Southwest pregame show at 6:30 p.m. before they hand it to Mark Followill and Derek Harper for the play-by-play!
It's Trade Deadline Time! Get All-Access to what the Mavs are doing upstairs, down in the basement, in the locker room and on the court – and it's free to come inside for a 7-day tryout. Now more than ever, there's no reason not to give it a go! Thanks for your support of the site at less than a dime-a-day! Go Mavs and Go Premium!