Jameer And Aminu: Two New Mavs Ironmen
The Dallas Mavericks have sealed deals with Al-Farouq Aminu (two years at the minimum with a second-year player option) and Jameer Nelson. And even though these acquisitions come at the end of the Summer Shopping period, they are significant in part because of the things the two players have in common.
Yes, Aminu is a long forward, is defense-and-rebounding-minded, is still a diamond in the rough, and is 23. And yes, Nelson is a squatty-bodied point guard, a decade-long NBA vet with an All-Star appearance and playoff skins.
But note the common threads:
In the last 4 seasons, Aminu ...
1. played 303 games (out of a possible 312); he's very reliable and never gets hurt
2. started 171 games
3. started 65 last season in New Orleans and played in 80
4. has averaged over 23 minutes per in his career
5. logged 2,045 minutes last season. (As a comparison, only four Mavs last season played more minutes: Dirk, Marion, Ellis and Calderon)
The collective point being, this is a regularly-used starter who won't turn 24 until September, and Mavs are getting him for the minimum.
Meanwhile, over the same time period of the last four seasons, Jameer (now age 32) ...
1. played 257 games (out of a possible 312)
2. started 257 games ... and has always been a starter
3. started 68 last season in Orlando and played in 68
4. has averaged over 29 minutes per game in his career
5. played 2179 minutes last season. (As a comparison, only four Mavs last season played more minutes: Dirk, Marion, Ellis and Calderon)
And now you see the common threads. ... and some facts are clear.
These Mavs last two additions to the roster are proven starter-caliber players elsewhere. They come on inexpensive two-year deals with player options in Year 2 and in terms of their order of acquisition, they are Nos. 14 and 15. So how much will they be counted on?
Rick Carlisle will be charged with figuring that out. But their NBA track records say they have the ability to play and contribute and even be iron men.
Dallas Basketball Top Stories
Mavs Noel Fake 1st-Rounder Get Scout ReportMavs Nerlens Noel - Fake First-Rounder' Trade Get - Advanced-Stat Scouting Report
Dallas Basketball4:08 PM
Nerlens Noel From Sixers To Mavs In TradeMavs Swipe Nerlens Noel In Trade From Sixers, Give Up Bogut, Justin, Protected First-Rounder ... Details Inside
Dallas Basketball9:11 AM
Anatomy Of A Day In Mavs' Trade-Deadline LifeTrade Talk. Cap Gymnastics. A Surprise Phone Call. A Short-Handed Scrimmage. It's All Part Of 'The Anatomy Of A Day In The Mavs' Trade-Deadline Life.'
Dallas BasketballYesterday at 10:41 PM
Mavs + Cavs 'Deeply Involved' In D-Will TalksSource: Mavs + Cavs 'Deeply Involved' In Deron Williams Trade Talks - And Here's The Prize
Dallas BasketballYesterday at 8:08 PM