Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

Former 49ers outside linebacker Aldon Smith has been suspended one year

Aldon Smith, while no longer with the 49ers, was dealt with a year-long suspension after his run in with the law in August, according to a report.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The 49ers released troubled linebacker Aldon Smith Aug. 7 after an arrest for an alleged DUI, his fifth run in with the law since joining the team in 2011.

Tuesday, ESPN reported Smith, now with the Oakland Raiders, will face a year-long suspension stemming from the incident.

In 2014, Smith served a nine-game suspension for his second (of three) DUI arrests for violating both the NFL's substance abuse and personal conduct policies.

Smith was arrested for driving under the influence, hit-and-run, and vandalism charges, and was released by the 49ers the following morning. The Raiders signed him Sept. 11, bookending a defensive front that featured standout second-year player Khalil Mack.

Smith made seven starts in nine games for Oakland, notching 3.5 sacks and 21 tackles. He had sacks in his last two games.

Despite his off-the-field history and pending suspension, the 49ers in May of 2014 picked up Smith's "fifth-year option," which guaranteed his $9.754 million salary in 2015 for injury. But this offseason, the team restructured the deal with Smith before his salary became fully guaranteed. He will be a free agent at the conclusion of the season.

In April of 2014, Smith was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport for allegedly making a false bomb threat at a security checkpoint. The Los Angeles District Attorney's office did not charge Smith in that case.

That incident came 38 days before Smith pleaded "no contest" to three felony weapons charges and two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence in a Santa Clara Superior Court May 21. He was sentenced in July of 2014 to 11 days on a sheriff's work crew after his gun charges were reduced to misdemeanors. Smith was also required to complete 235 hours of community service and serve three years probation.

The gun charges stem from a party held at Smith's house in June 2012 when a fight broke out. Authorities found three assault rifles at the home after responding to a complaint about the event. Smith was stabbed after a melee broke out.