|Jaguars reach deal for stadium upgrades|
by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, June 20, 2013 at 4:17 pm ET
Maurice Jones-Drew Profile
The Jaguars announced that the organization and the City of Jacksonville have agreed to a $63 million deal that will upgrade aspects of EverBank Field.
Upgrades will include two new end zone video scoreboards and to renovate the north end zone into an entertainment and viewing area for fans.
"Our determination to see this concept brought to reality was matched by Mayor Brown, and his impressive work on this project is why we're able to move so quickly," Jaguars owner Shahid Khan said. "This is what can happen when two parties are committed to a common goal. We support (Jacksonville) Mayor (Alvin) Brown's initiatives to bring new energy to Downtown Jacksonville and the city's urban core, and the enhancements to EverBank Field that we are announcing today will help position Jacksonville as a home and destination for major events, now and in the future. This is indeed great news for Jacksonville."
The City of Jacksonville will spend $36.4 million on the north end zone renovations. The Jaguars will spend 75 percent of the $26.5 million ($19.875 million) its expected to cost for the new scoreboards, with the City of Jacksonville spending the remaining 25 percent ($6.625 million).
"Enhancing our stadium is a positive step toward the strategic goal of Downtown revitalization, as well, and it's an opportunity to play to our strengths as a destination for sports and entertainment," Mayor Brown said. "Beyond the Jaguars games, we can expect the stadium enhancements to engage the thousands of fans who come to Jacksonville for the Florida-Georgia game, the Gator Bowl and other major events at EverBank Field."
For more NFL coverage, go to profootball.scout.com.
Follow me on Twitter: @RavensInsider