Monday Night Meltdown

The return of R.W. McQuarters and Phillip Daniels couldn't save the Bears from an embarrassing loss on national television. Chicago came out in all blue uniforms, but the change in dress couldn't camouflage their poor play.

Turnovers, penalties and mistakes led to a 34-21 loss at the hands of the Packers and as a result dropped two games behind Green Bay with their third straight loss.

"We're making too many mistakes to overcome," said Jim Miller, who threw three interceptions in the loss. "I think there's plenty of blame to go around and you can't point your finger at anybody because it starts with pointing your thumb back at yourself."

The Bears went three and out on their first drive, but almost got a big-play when Brad Maynard's bouncing punt hit Donald Driver in the backside. However, former Bear Tony Carter came up with the ball for the Packers.

On the very next play Brett Favre rolled left and threw across his body over 50 yards to find a wide open Driver. The receiver ran into the endzone untouched for an 85-yard touchdown. R.W. McQuarters and Mike Green were supposed to have coverage on the play, but there seemed to be a miscommunication between the two.

"R.W. was expecting some safety help and I was the safety back there and I wasn't there," said Mike Green. "He (Favre) had a good playaction and I never saw the receiver come behind me and he made a good throw."

It was McQuarters first game back since leaving the season opener with a left knee sprain.

Following the touchdown pass Favre found a rhythm. He completed 4-5 passes for 65yards including a 19-yard TD pass to tight end Tyrone Davis, which put Green Bay up by two touchdowns late in the first quarter.

A taunting penalty by Davis on the touchdown forced the Packers to kickoff from their 15-yard line. Leon Johnson returned the kick 35 yards giving Chicago the ball at the Packers 37. After two completions to Marty Booker, Jim Miller went to Anthony Thomas, who drew a pass interference penalty on Matt Bowen. The 14-yard penalty put the ball on the four-yard line. On the next play Miller found Booker alone along the sideline for a touchdown. The score cut the Packers lead in half at 14-7.

A third and long conversion by Favre led to another score. The quarterback went to rookie Javon Walker for 17 yards on third and nine. A 27-yard completion to Terry Glenn gave the Packers first and goal. Favre then completed his third TD pass of the half this time to tight end Bubba Franks from five yards out, which extended Green Bay's lead to 21-7

The Bears pulled out all the stops on the ensuing possession. At their own 45 Dick Jauron decided to go for it on fourth and one. Thomas picked two yards keeping the drive alive for the moment. But, an offensive pass interference penalty slowed the Bears progress. Paul Edinger eventually came on to attempt an apparent 54-yard field goal. However, the Bears went to a trick play with long snapper Patrick Mannelly, Marty Booker and Brian Urlacher in the backfield and David Terrell to the right side while everyone else lined up on the left. The ball was snapped to Booker, then lateraled to Urlacher, who threw it to Mannelly, but it was broken up by safety Marques Anderson.

After trading punts the Packers looked to put more points up, but Driver fumbled a 10-yard catch that Mike Brown recovered and returned 35 yards to the Green Bay four-yard line.

Three plays later Miller went to John Davis for a one-yard touchdown trimming the deficit to 21-14 with less than three minutes left in the half.

It looked as if the score remained the same, until Favre got the ball with 38 seconds left in the half. With the full compliment of timeouts he marched the Packers into field goal range. A 49-yard field goal by Ryan Longwell ended the half with the Bears trailing 24-14.

The Bears dodged a major bullet to start the third quarter. Rabih Abdullah fumbled the opening kickoff and the Packers recovered at the Bears 17-yard line. A fumbled snap by Favre forced the Packers to bring on Longwell for a 28-yard field goal that Marc Colombo blocked keeping the Bears within ten points.

Miller moved the Bears into Green Bay territory with back-to-back completions to Dez White of 14 and 23 yards. A 22-yard pass to David Terrell put the Bears well within field goal range. However, Miller was sacked by Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and fumbled the ball. The Bears recovered, but on the following play LT Bernard Robertson was beaten again this time Joe Johnson got to Miller, who tried to throw the ball away. The attempted pass went directly in to the hands of Gbaja-Biamila. The defensive end scampered 72 yards for a touchdown giving Green Bay a 17-point lead at 31-14.

On the drive G Rex Tucker went down with a dislocated left ankle.

"That's a big blow," Miller said. "He's worked so hard and he's been so solid for us. That's a very severe injury that he sustained tonight. It was not pretty. It hurts to lose that leadership."

Mike Gandy replaced the injured Tucker for the remainder of the game.

The Bears made a late run when Miller found John Davis for a second time of the game that cut the lead to 34-21. Then following a 52-yard completion from Miller to Terrell the Bears had a chance to get within one score, but the quarterback was picked off in the endzone on the next play.

It was the first time since 2000 that the Bears lost three straight games when the team lost to New Orleans (10/8), Minnesota (10/15) and Philadelphia (10/22).

Bear Report Top Stories