On the mend

Although <!--Default NodeId For Cameron Worrell is 819525,2003--><A HREF=[PlayerNode:819525]>Cameron Worrell</A> won't be on the field when the team faces the <!--Default NodeId For Green Bay Packers is 114,2003--><A HREF=http://packers.TheInsiders.com>Green Bay Packers</A> on Monday night, the rookie safety s back at Halas Hall after recently undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

It's good to be back here again. I was pretty concerned when this first happened. I want to play, not to be on the sidelines. As a rookie, it isn't good to miss practices or games. There is just so much to learn.

I hurt my knee in the first half of the game against the Vikings. Things were going fine for me until my foot caught in the turf. It was a strange sensation. It wasn't as if anything had popped and there wasn't any severe pain. It just didn't feel right. I could still move, but I couldn't maneuver the way I like to. I went back in and finished the game. It wasn't until early the next morning that it became apparent I'd need some medical attention.

I'd never had that type of injury before so I wasn't quite sure what to expect as far as treatment. In fact, although I've played football or years, I've never really been hurt. The doctors decided that arthroscopic surgery would repair the slight tear that I had.

The procedure went quite well. It really didn't take very long, probably about an hour in the operating room. After that, I stayed in the hospital for four hours, then I was able to go home. Getting around was a little tough for the first few days but I was able to make it on the team's trip down to the new Soldier Field later that week.

Now I'm back and working with the Bears training staff. The doctors have designed a comprehensive rehabilitation program that I am using each day. It's mostly weight and strength training. At this point, I don't practice and I am not going to team meetings. All my concentration is on repairing this injury. It's important to keep flexibility in the knee and to rebuild strength in my legs as soon as possible.

I've been told that recovery from this type of problem is usually complete, and that down time shouldn't be too long. There is a possibility that I might play in the game against Oakland, but of course that is something to be determined by the medical staff later next week.

I'm not expecting this to be too much of a setback. It was lucky for me that the bye week came when it did. I didn't lose as much game time as I could have if we'd played last week. My spirits are up and I'm ready to come back as soon as I am physically able to do so.

Seeing the new stadium was great. It was an awesome sight. I didn't know too much about the old field, but I know that everything in the new one is spectacular. I particularly like the locker room. It has everything a player could want. After hearing the horror stories about what the veterans had to put up with in the old locker room, I'm very happy to be here right now.

There's a lot of energy around Halas Hall this week. Everybody is really up for this game. It's a Monday night game, at home, in a new stadium, against Green Bay. It doesn't get better than that. Everybody wants to do week for our fans. I'm sorry that I won't have the chance to be out there, but I'll definitely come back as soon as I can. In the meantime, I'll be rooting for the Bears from the sidelines.

Bear Report Top Stories