Bumbling Bills fall to Jets, 26-17

The Bills lost a second-straight divisional game Sunday, this time to the Jets. Buffalo now falls to 5-3 and they essentially lose their spot atop the AFC East.

The Buffalo Bills were efficient, but not effective enough in a few key situations in Sunday's loss to the New York Jets. Marshawn Lynch sat out some of the game with flu-like symptoms, but fans must have left Ralph Wilson Stadium feeling sick to their stomachs after taking in Sunday's game, which was sprinkled with mistakes.

Trent Edwards had a career high 289 yards on 24 of 35 passing, but turned the ball over three times, which swung the momentum in the Jets' favor each time. Despite an early 7-3 lead, the Bills offense was never able to establish the run, and the pass protection was on-again-off-again.

On the first play of the Bills' second offensive drive, Edwards fumbled when sacked from behind by CB Derelle Revis inside the 10-yard line. Following a short Jets' field goal, Edwards and the Bills marched more than 60 yards down the field in 8 minutes, only to see the Bills QB, on third-and-goal, throw an interception into the waiting arms of Jets SS Abram Elam, who turned it into a 92-yard touchdown return. The Bills would not regain the lead from there on out.

Such mistakes would lead to the Bills' downfall. The drive after the interception appeared it would be fruitful, as the Bills drove into the red zone in 7 minutes, but Fred Jackson was questionably ruled short of the first down marker when coach Dick Jauron allowed the offense to try to convert fourth-and-one. Punter Brian Moorman appeared to scamper for a first down early in the second half on a fake punt, but holding on the play negated the gain, and the Bills were forced to kick the ball away. An efficient 5-minute drive at the end of the third quarter was neutralized by a rare missed field goal from Rian Lindell from 43 yards out (after he had made a 53 yarder earlier in the game).

Buffalo appeared to steal the momentum back, when Brett Favre threw a duck up for grabs, which CB Jabari Greer intercepted and brought back for a Bills touchdown on the first play after the missed field goal. They would not get another reasonable chance though, as the Bills defense was bludgeoned with an almost nine-minute, 14-play drive that was punctuated by a Jay Feeley chip-shot field goal that put the Jets up 26-17, which would be the final margin. With the Bills out of time outs with less than three minutes remaining, Edwards again led the offense down the field only to be disappointed after an interception of a poorly thrown loft to James Hardy in the end zone spelled an apropos ending to the game.

Tune into BFR all week for continuing coverage.


Buffalo Football Report Top Stories