Denver Broncos Deny Bleacher Report Story On Peyton Manning's Status

The Denver Broncos are categorically denying a story published on Bleacher Report claiming the team had officially decided to start Brock Osweiler for the rest of the season.

The Denver Broncos are vehemently denying a report published by Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole early Wednesday morning claiming the Broncos had officially named 25-year-old quarterback Brock Osweiler as their starter for the reminder of the season over five-time NFL MVP Peyton Manning

Osweiler has started the last two games for the Broncos while Manning recovers from a torn plantar fascia in his left foot. Osweiler has played well in relief, throwing for 666 yards, with four touchdowns and two inteceptions, since taking over for the NFL's all-time leading passer midway throught the third quarter in Denver's Week 10 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Prior to being benched, Manning had struggled throughout the season, and leading the NFL in interceptions with 17.

In two appearances as the Broncos starter, Osweiler has claimed victories over the Chicago Bears, and the previously undefeated New England Patriots, leading many to speculate that the Broncos would be forced to make a decision on thier starting quarterback in the near future.

In a video published to Bleacher Report this morning, Cole claimed the Broncos decision had already been finalized.

“In talking to sources within the Denver Broncos organization, the decision by the Broncos has been made that they will continue the rest of the season with Brock Osweiler as the starting quarterback, and will move on from Peyton Manning at this point in time” Cole said.

Cole qualified his report.

“However, the only thing that could change that is if Osweiler struggles significantly. He’s only started two games this season and teams could figure him out. That’s why it’s important that Peyton Manning remain ready to possibly go in and be a sub for Osweiler in that situation.”

However, sources close to the Broncos speaking with Mile High Huddle categorically denied Cole’s report. “There are a lot of moving pieces to this,” a source said. “Right now, the focus is on Peyton getting healthy and going from there. Anything reported beyond that is 100 percent false.”

This afternoon, the Broncos released a statement on the matter from their official twitter account, which team officials later referred Mile High Huddle to as their formal statement on the story.

https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/672100232990097410

While speculation like Cole’s continues to run rampant when it comes to the Broncos quarterback conundrum, there is very little evidence that anything beyond what the team has said is accurate. The Broncos plan to monitor Manning’s health and will likely not make any kind of formal decision on the matter for several weeks. 

Jake Marsing in an Analyst for MileHighHuddle. You can find him on Twitter @JakeDMarsing. And be sure to like MileHighHuddle on Facebook

Follow MileHighHuddle on Twitter @MileHighHuddle and become a subscriber to receive access to premium content and discounted Broncos tickets and merchandise.

Subscribe and rate on iTunes!

null

Mile High Huddle Top Stories