You get a legion of reporters and journalists converging on a city full of NFL general managers, head coaches and talent evaluators, rumors are going to swirl. Wednesday, following Denver Broncos Head Coach Vance Joseph's time at the podium at the NFL Scouting Combine, a report emerged that if true, would reveal Denver's intentions at quarterback in 2017.
Sources say that new Denver Broncos head coach Vance Joseph has looked at the two young quarterbacks on the Broncos roster and has decided the team needs a veteran signal caller for the immediate future. As a result, sources say Denver plans on pursuing Dallas Cowboys Tony Romo intently.
Denver has a lot to offer Romo in terms of a team ready to win now. After all, the Broncos were celebrating a Super Bowl victory just one year ago. They have an elite defense, and talented wide receivers to appeal to Romo for making another January run. Sources say if the Broncos are able to add Romo, they would move on from young veteran Trevor Siemian.
This is a query I've posed in recent weeks. If the Broncos pursue and acquire Romo, where does that leave Siemian? Because the Broncos have their long-term, developmental quarterback already on the roster in 2016 first-rounder Paxton Lynch. Keeping Siemian would muddy the water.
Combine CoverageCOMBINE PORTAL - CLICK HERE!
Use code COMBINE2017 to get two free months with purchase of one!
As excited as he might be about Lynch's physical talents and traits, Joseph clearly doesn't know what to make the quarterback he inherited quite yet.
"Is he ready? I'm not sure," Joseph said Wednesday. "But obviously he's got great skills. He's a tall man with a big arm. Is he ready? That's a tough question. He had two starts last year."
I've argued that if the Broncos as an organization are going to move forward and build around Lynch, they'd be better off parting ways with Siemian, just to get Lynch as many reps as possible, and to signal to the veterans on the roster that this is Paxton's job.
You add an accomplished veteran to the mix and it's easy to see how Siemian would be the odd man out — even if he's a better quarterback than Lynch today. The fact remains, the Broncos invested a first round pick in Lynch, and they have to get a return on that investement.
However, in his public remarks, Joseph remained staunchly behind the same message he communicated in his introductory press conference back in January. Siemian and Lynch are going to compete.
"It's going to be an open competition," Joseph said. "Whoever wins the job, that's who's going to play. That's as fair as it can be."
Charlie Campbell's report actually jives quite closely with what I've heard out of Dove Valley since Joseph was hired. It wouldn't surprise me if there is no competition between Lynch and Siemian this year, because they'll be playing for two different teams, and Tony Romo will be handed Denver's starting job.
We'll see how it shakes out.
Chad Jensen is the Publisher of Mile High Huddle. You can find him on Twitter @ChadNJensen.