With the NFL Draft in the books, it is time to hand out the grades for the AFC West classes. These grades are a little different. They are based on the value of the pick.
To determine the value, multiple factors are in play. A low-value pick doesn’t mean it was bad or that the player is bad. A low-value grade doesn’t mean the group is bad.
http://www.scout.com/nfl/broncos/story/1775868-grading-the-broncos-2017-... One player can drop the value grade. On the other side of the coin, a high-value grade could be carried by one player. It is all based on the value of the pick itself.
What are the factors that go into the value grade? Well, my board is one of them, but additionally, I used multiple contacts within the NFL from multiple teams to gather intelligence on the player to get an idea of where my sources stood on the pick.
NFL opinion balances out my boards to help create the value grade. It's time to break down the Denver Broncos three AFC West rivals, with a main focus on the home team. Denver's draft value grades will be in a separate article to follow.
Kansas City Chiefs | 2016 record: 12-4 (First)
Total Draft Picks: Six | Total UDFA: 19 | Trades: 4
• Chiefs trade their first-rounder (#27), third (#91) and 2018 first-rounder for Buffalo's #10 pick in the first round.
• The Chiefs select Patrick Mahomes III, QB, Texas Tech, with the 10th overall pick.
• The Chiefs select Tanoh Kpassagnon, DL, Villanova, with the 59th overall pick.
• Chiefs trade their third (#104), fourth (#132) and seventh (#245) for third (#86) from Minnesota.
• The Chiefs select Kareem Hunt, EB, Toledo, with the 86th overall pick.
• Chiefs trade fifth (#170) and fifth (#180) for fourth (#139) from Minnesota.
• The Chiefs select Jehu Chesson, WR, Michigan, with the 139th overall pick.
• Chiefs trade TE James O'Shaugnessy and sixth-rounder (#216) for fifth (#183) from New England.
• The Chiefs select Eligwe Ukeme, LB, Georgia Southern, with the 183rd overall pick.
• The Chiefs select Leon McQuay III, S, USC, with the 218th overall pick.
Best Value: Kareem Hunt.
Worst Value: Tanoh Kpassagnon.
Draft Class Value Grade: 93.
Best Valued UDFA: Damien Mama and Jordan Herdman
Undrafted Value Grade: 79.
Total Value Grade: 89.
Oakland Raiders | 2016 record 12-4 (Second)
Total Draft Picks: 9 | Total UDFA: 17 | Trades: 1
• The Raiders select Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State, with the 24th overall pick.
• The Raiders select Obi Melifonwu, S, UConn, with the 56th overall pick.
• The Raiders select Eddie Vanderdoes, DL, UCLA, with the 88th overall pick.
• The Raiders select David Sharpe, OL, Florida, with the 129th overall pick.
• The Raiders select Marquell Lee, LB, Wake Forest, with the 168th overall pick.
• Raiders trade sixth (#208) for seventh (#221) and seventh (#231) from Arizona.
• The Raiders select Shalom Luani, S, Washington State, with the 221st overall pick.
• The Raiders select Jylan Ware, OL, Alabama State, with the 231st overall pick.
• The Raiders select Elijah Hood, RB, North Carolina, with the 242nd overall pick.
• The Raiders select Treyvon Hester, DL, Toledo, with the 244th overall pick.
Best Value: Treyvon Hester.
Worst Value: Shalom Luani.
Draft Class Value Grade: 93
UDFA Value Grade: 80.
Total Value Grade: 87.
Los Angeles Chargers | 2016 record 5-11 (Fourth)
Total Draft Picks: 7 | Total UDFA: 15 | Trades: None
• The Chargers select Mike Williams, WR, Clemson, with the 7th overall pick.
• The Chargers select Forrest Lamp, OL, Western Kentucky, with the 38th overall pick.
• The Chargers select Dan Feeney, OL, Indiana, with the 71st overall pick.
• The Chargers select Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami, with the 113th overall pick.
• The Chargers select Desmond King, DB, Iowa, with the 151st overall pick.
• The Chargers select Sam Tevi, OL, Utah, with the 190th overall pick.
• The Chargers select Isaac Rochell, DL, Notre Dame, with the 225th overall pick.
Best Value: Dan Feeney.
Worst Value: Isaac Rochell.
Draft Class Value Grade: 96.
Best Valued UDFA: James Onwualu and Artavis Scott.
UDFA Value Grade: 76.
Total Value Grade: 85
• Here's Part II, breaking down the Denver Broncos Draft and UDFA haul
Erick Trickel is the Senior Draft Analyst for Mile High Huddle. You can find him on Twitter @ErickTrickel.