"I am pleased to announce the extension of Elvis Dumervil's contract with the Denver Broncos," General Manager Brian Xanders said. "He has established himself as one of the NFL's premier pass rushers, and he's an important part of the foundation we are building with this team. We are excited to have him as an integral part of the Broncos well into the future."
Dumervil, a fifth-year player, became the first Bronco in team history to lead the NFL in sacks with a club-record 17 in 2009 as a Pro Bowl starter and a first-team Associated Press All-Pro choice. Selected by the Broncos in the fourth round (126th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft from the University of Louisville, Dumervil ranks third in the league with 43 sacks since his rookie season.
"We are thrilled to have agreed to terms with Elvis Dumervil on a contract extension," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "Elvis is a very talented player who will help lead our defense and is also an outstanding person and teammate. The way he has handled this lengthy negotiation this offseason is a great example of the type of player and person we want on our team. We look forward to Elvis' impact for many years to come."
In 61 career games (45 starts) for the Broncos, Dumervil has totaled 168 tackles (130 solo), 11 forced fumbles, eight fumble recoveries, 10 pass breakups and one interception (27 yds.).
* - His 43 career sacks tie for the 10th-highest total in NFL history through a player's first four seasons while his 14 career multiple-sack games tie for the fourth most in league annals through a player's first four seasons.
* - Dumervil's accolades in 2009 also included first-team All-Pro honors from Pro Football Weekly/PFWA, The Sporting News and ESPN.com. He also was named the NFL Alumni Pass Rusher of the Year and received the Darrent Williams Good Guy Award as voted on by the Denver media.
* - Dumervil tied as the second-fastest player in NFL history to 10 sacks in a season during the 2009 campaign, reaching that mark in just six games.
* - The pass rusher recorded 11 sacks on third down last season that tied for the most in the NFL during a single year since at least 1991. He owns a league-high 27.5 sacks on third downs since his rookie year in 2006.
* - Dumervil has registered three games with at least three sacks for his career, including four quarterback takedowns vs. Cleveland (9/20/09) that tied the Broncos' single-game record.
Broncos Update Community Forums