OBR Daily Blog 11/3

Although Tuesday was an off day, we worked on our cardiovascular endurance.

Derek Anderson Tells Albert Einstein to Get Bent
Barry McBride on November 3rd, 2010 AT 11:29 PM

Evening links of varying merit:

Here what Derek Anderson does: he warps time. Whenever he goes to an NFL club, the rest of the world moves forward on a normal timeline, but the club he’s with loses two years. First it happened in Cleveland, where Derek Anderson showed up in 2007 and froze the Browns roster into position with impressive-enough looking offense that Brady Quinn was stuck on the Browns sideline and the team refused to draft quarterbacks. The Browns stayed still while the rest of the league moved forward.

Now he’s up to his old tricks in Arizona, putting a once-impressive team in a situation where they wander aimlessly in circles between two bad quarterbacks.

How he does it, I have no idea, but the rest of the league moves forward while your team makes no progress whatsoever. If you remember your Planet of the Apes astrophysics, it may be because your team moves at near the speed of light towards the bottom of your division, which causes time dilation, while the rest of the world moves forward on normal time.

It’s like that, but with a 45.2 quarterback rating.

* * *

Donte Stallworth has begun practicing again. Good luck with that, Baltimore.

Never has one man done so little for so much money. Other than Keith Hernandez. You with me old-school Tribe fans? (High fives, weeps)

* * *

Admiral Akbar, now writing for AOL Fanhouse, notes “Patriots Injury-Plagued Heading Into Potential Trap Game vs. Browns“.

You have to feel bad for those poor Patriots, suffering with all those injuries. As if the Browns didn’t have an Injured Reserve list with a population higher than Olmstead Falls.
* * *
“Yes, Mr. Goodell”
“You aren’t supposed to make people’s brains bounce around in their skulls when they’re not looking.”
“Yes, Mr. Goodell”
“Don’t do it again”
“Okay, Mr. Goodell”.
“Here, have a couple of suitcases full of money for travel expenses”
“Thanks, Mr. Goodell”
The spacious limo is waiting at the front door to take you back via a first-class plane ticket. Take a bottle of Dom Perignon for the ride.”
“OK, Mr. Goodell”
“I hope you learned a valuable lesson”
“I sure did, Mr. Goodell”
“I had better not see you back here next year”
“You won’t, Mr. Goodell” (leaves)
“Because your ass is gonna be locked out like everyone else” (chuckles)
* * *
Some guy named Mike Reiss from ESPN is analyzing the Browns game. Here’s a video, if you like such pre-game yammering:

And Now, a Guy Chugging Stadium Mustard
Barry McBride on November 3rd, 2010 AT 10:06 PM

This video belongs here. Enjoy.

[Hat Tip to Cleveland Scene]

Latest Links from the OBR Newswire
OBR Newswire on November 3rd, 2010 AT 10:00 PM

These are links from the OBR Newswire for November 3rd from 19:20 to 21:48:

Bills Snag Shawne Merriman
Barry McBride on November 3rd, 2010 AT 7:48 PM

Here’s another one we can forget about. The Bills look set to snag Shawne Merriman off of waiver, as they attempt to establish themselves even more securely atop the draft boards.

The Chargers gave up on Merriman because he’s a shadow of the player he once was. That sounds like an improvement over what they have in Buffalo, apparently, so he’ll get a chance to revive his career there.

Jay Glazer has the story.

Transcript: Bill Belichick Grumpily Talks to New England Media
Barry McBride on November 3rd, 2010 AT 7:46 PM

BB: We’re moving along here on Cleveland. I talked about it earlier this week, [but we’ve] got a lot of work to do to catch up to them with the bye week and the extra time they’ve had. They were really impressive in the New Orleans game, but they’ve played well all year. There have been a lot of close games – just gone toe-to-toe with everybody. They’re a tough football team. [They’re] good in all three phases of the game, real good on special teams. [They’re] right at the top of the league in coverage, punts and kickoffs. [Joshua] Cribbs is a major force in the game. [They] do a good job at running the ball. Defensively, they are tough to run on. They do a good job in the red area. So all the way across the board, they give you a lot of different looks and a lot of things to prepare for. I’m sure they’ve got a lot of momentum here after playing two games on the road – now to get back home after the bye week. So we know it’s going to be tough up there. We are going to have to do a good job.

Q:  Are you guys going to put in any claim on Shawne Merriman or Randy Moss?

BB: You got the same hook, you just change the bait every day, huh? We just can’t talk about the players that are still even in the waiver process. I’d love to, but I just can’t do it.

Q: Is it any easier to prepare for a team coached by someone that used to coach on your staff?

Bb: Not really. I think at this point, there are so many things that have changed – different personnel. Everybody modifies their system or improves it or makes even personnel or scheme changes for various reasons. I think there’s a lot … at this point you are just looking at a team and what that team does and trying to figure out how you can deal with it. Whether you knew a coach or player or whatever from previous years, I think [the effect] is pretty minimal.

Q: How different are the Browns under Coach Eric Mangini than the Jets were?

BB: Well, other than a couple players, it’s … well, the players, that’s all the difference in the world, players’ skill sets and all that. There is some carryover with the techniques, but offensively, [Cleveland is] nothing like the Jets. They run a west-coast type of offense and that’s nothing like what they ran at New York. [There are] some changes. Brad [Seely], we’re kind of familiar with some of the schemes, but he changes them up from week to week on special teams and the players that they have are very good players so no matter what they do, it looks pretty good.

Q: What is your relationship like with Coach Mangini?

BB: Right now, it is just trying to get my team ready; get the Patriots ready to play the Browns. It’s not really about any personal thing, it’s just, I’m trying to do a job, so is the rest of our team [and] so is their team. We will see what happens on Sunday.

Q: What do you think the handshake will be like at the end of the game?

BB: Hopefully I’ll have a smile on my face. That’s what I’m hoping for. Hope we come out on top – that’s what we’re going up there for. But, hey, we know it’s going to be tough. Cleveland’s a good football team. They play everybody tough and we know it will be a tough game.

Q: How have you seen Mike Holmgren put his imprint on this team?

Offensively. This is probably more of a west coast team offensively than what we saw last week with Brad Childress. [I’m] not sure exactly who’s doing what, but the foundation of this offense is clearly from the roots that Mike had and what he did in Seattle.

Q: You mentioned a couple of years ago that you had a lot of respect for Holmgren for leaving Seattle and keeping the west coast offense alive. Can you talk about the challenges that you face defensively?

BB: I think that when you look at all the west coast coaches, all the guys that came from [Bill] Walsh’s tree, which are [Jon] Gruden and [Brian] Billick, and Andy Reid, you can just go right down the line – there’s been a lot of them, – that he’s modified it to a) his team or b) things that he, in particular, wanted to do that were a little bit different from the way that [Walsh] ran it in San Francisco, but I would say that Mike probably stayed closer to it than a lot of other coaches did. That was the way it was in Seattle and there’s a lot of elements of that here in Cleveland. Like every offense and every defense, you have ways to handle problems. You go through enough games, enough years, you pretty much see a lot of what you have to face and you have some way of dealing with it. As time goes forward, you either stay with those or you modify them and change them based on either your personnel, or, for some reason, you think you have a way that works better than the one you’re currently using. That happens in a lot of cases. It looks like, in Mike’s case, he is less inclined to do that and more inclined to stay with things that he’s done through the years.

Q: It was talked about a few weeks ago that Cribbs would be in the wildcat a lot, have you seen him wildcat enough to prepare for it?

BB: They do it in every game, or every game that he plays in. At that point [in the Pittsburgh game], I think it was maybe in the second quarter that he got hurt, [that] they’ve been in it maybe once or twice, something like that. But, they run it a handful of times in each game. If they have it, they could easily go to it more or go to less of it. Those kinds of offenses – the empty formations, the unbalanced lines, the wildcats, things like that – teams that have them, sometimes you can get a little bit of it, sometimes you can get a lot of it. That just varies from game to game. You got to be ready for it, and how much they give you usually is a function of how successful it’s going, partially.

Q: Any updates or changes on the practice squad?

BB: Just the two additions. Have we announced that? We added Jonathan Crompton, the quarterback from Tennessee, and [Lorenzo] Washington, the defensive lineman from Alabama.

Q: Is there a corresponding move to go along with the additions?

BB: Well there will be by four [p.m.]. We just need to communicate with that player, who’s not actually here right now and then we’ll do it. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Q: Do you have certain minimal expectations from new players that arrive in midseason?

BB: Every player has to pass a conditioning test before they can start practice. So we do that in training camp or if a player doesn’t come in at the beginning of training camp, then whenever he comes in. So we just go through the process and take it day-to-day. So we’ll take it day-to-day.

Q: It seems like when Cleveland was in New Orleans, they kind of emptied out the playbook with trick plays. Does that make it harder to prepare for them?

BB: They do that every week. They have plays that you really can’t work on, or you can work on some of them but whether you’re actually going to get the one that they use or they’re going to come up with a new one, probably not. So they have those kind of plays every week, on offense, on special teams, on defense with their different blitzes or punt-rushes, field-goal rushes, things like that. That’s part of preparing for them. You know you’re going to get something that you aren’t going to be working on. They’re going to try and spring something on you – you got to be alert for it – but really, they do it every week. I mean, those are great plays; they hit big: the couple of interceptions, they runback for touchdowns, the punt return, the fake punt. But you see those plays throughout the course of the game from them on a regular basis.

Q: I know you are preparing for every quarterback, but what have you seen from Colt McCoy?

BB: Well he went into two tough situations, playing in Pittsburgh and in New Orleans, and he completed 77% of his passes. He had a great win down there in New Orleans. Even though in Pittsburgh they fell behind in the end of the game, he drove the team down the field for a touchdown [and] was driving them again at the end of the game, so it shows that he’s got a lot of poise, a lot of toughness. [It shows he’s] really pretty accurate with the ball [and] makes good decisions. That’s what it looked like in two games – kind of what you saw in college – athletic guy.

Q: What do you think of these football czar positions that Parcells and now Holmgren have? Can you ever see yourself moving into that?

BB: Right now, I am just trying to see Cleveland. Trying to see Cleveland in Cleveland on Sunday; that’s all I’m trying to see. Look, Mike’s got a great background in football. He’s been with a couple different organizations as a head coach. He’s coached in San Francisco [and] has had a great coaching career. I think he’s got great experience. [He’s] very good at all the aspects of his job. He’s had great success. He’s been to Super Bowls [and] won them. I think his record pretty much speaks for itself; it doesn’t need any endorsement from me.

Q: Can you relate to Cleveland? You’ve talked about how sometimes you’ve got to create plays on special teams, etc. Can you relate to that challenge of having to create trick plays to spark your offense from your time coaching special teams?

BB: I think you try to create plays every week. I think they can score on offense. They can run the ball, they can throw it, [and] they’ve got big-play players at all positions: running back, tight end [and] receiver. All the quarterbacks have been productive when they’ve had the chance to play. I think they can pretty much do everything. They can run the ball. They can pass it. They can play defense. They can stop the run. They pressure the quarterback, [cause them to] turn it over. They return kicks. They cover them – cover as well as anybody in the league. They are a pretty solid team. I am sure they are trying to make plays in every phase of the game, just like everybody else is.

Q: Jerod Mayo has always put up pretty high numbers when it comes to tackles, but we’re seeing a pretty dramatic upturn the last three or four weeks. Is that a byproduct of the opponent or scheme or is he doing something differently?

BB: I don’t think he’s doing a lot differently. Jerod’s playing well. He’s very well prepared. [He] works hard, understands the game – both our defense and what our opponents are doing. He does a good job at communicating and making adjustments on the field and helping other guys get in the right positions and recognizing things. So I haven’t seen any changes there. He’s a strong tackler. He’s got good athleticism. He can run; he’s tough. He’s got good balance, good quickness, so he gets to a lot of people and tackles them. But as far as doing anything dramatically different in his preparation or playing style, I can’t really say I’ve noticed that. I’d say the big thing on that, to me – I know I probably see it a lot differently than a lot of you do – but to me, it’s really opportunities. A guy’s got a chance to make five tackles and he makes five tackles, then he makes five tackles. If he has a chance to make 10 and he makes 10, great. If he has a chance to make 10 and he makes four, then that’s not good production. Even though he makes four, what about the other six? A lot of that’s opportunity – not all of it, but some of it.

Q: What are your thoughts on Benjamin Watson?

BB: Ben looks like Ben. He’s a good athlete. He looks like the player he was here [with] his skill set, his effort, his athleticism, all those things. [He] looks about the same to me. He did a good job for us and he’s doing a good job for Cleveland.

Q: Going back to Mayo and his opportunities, is that just his ability from a mental standpoint to put him in the position to have those opportunities?

BB: Yeah, they’re related. Sometimes, the way the play unfolds, the opportunity comes to one player more than another. But, also, sometimes those players create some of their own opportunities by recognizing or defeating a blocker or reading a pattern or whatever it is to put themselves in better opportunity, better position to make the play. Some of that is definitely the result of the player’s recognition, instinctiveness, reading the player – whether it’s the quarterback or running back.

Q: Is Jerod benefiting from Brandon Spikes’ play?

BB: Again, it comes down to team defense. You need 11 guys out there, everybody doing their job. I’d say overall, probably Spikes benefits a lot more from Mayo than Mayo does from Spikes just because of experience and knowledge of our system and being able to get things right so that they can play aggressively. When Jerod gets things right, then that makes it a lot easier for Spikes. I think if it was the other way around, you know, there are a lot of things that Brandon still has to learn. He’s a good player, don’t get me wrong, but Mayo’s the captain of our defense for a couple of years now as a young player for good reason. His teammates have a lot of confidence in him. He does a good job and I think he makes the players around him play better, which is really the mark of an outstanding player – not only a guy that plays well but helps the players around him perform even better and I think Jerod does that, very unselfishly.

Q: He seems to be getting a lot of contributions from young, new or relatively inexperienced players. Does that say something about the veteran leadership on this team or this team as a whole?

BB: Again, I think it’s the guys that are out there playing that are making plays. They certainly deserve the credit for that; they’re the ones that are making them. I think a lot of players on our team are working hard. They’re trying to follow the game plan; trying to do their job and help others do theirs without taking away from what they have to do. I think our team has a good attitude about that like, ‘Yeah, I got a job to do, but it’s also important for me to work with my teammates with whatever it is – a blocking scheme, a coverage, pass-rush game, punt protection, whatever it happens to be – for all of us to do it well together and not just segment it so that there are [not] breakdowns in-between the segments, [but] so it’s all tied together.’ That’s part of it, too, and certainly our more experienced players have, generally speaking, a little more of a role in that than some of our less experienced ones – not totally, but for the most part, that’s probably the case.

Q: Are the tackle statistics something you keep a running tally of and how high are Jerod’s ratios?

BB: Yeah, we do everything. We keep track of everything. Of what the coaches, what we feel the production is on the play, who made the tackle, who’s in on an assist, who pressured, all different kinds of categories. Same thing offensively: blocks, finished blocks and things like that, yards after contact, first contact with receivers, running backs and so forth. So we keep track of that; it’s something that’s interesting to be aware of. Sometimes it’s more significant than other times, but yeah, we do all that, absolutely. I don’t have it memorized, but we definitely check all that in every phase of the game.

Colt McCoy’s Conference Call with New England Media
Barry McBride on November 3rd, 2010 AT 7:43 PM

Q: Where does the Browns’ quarterback situation stand this week?

CM: Well, I’m approaching it the same way I always have since I got here, since the season started. I’m going to prepare. I’m going to practice and I’m going to have my mind ready just like I’m going to be the starter – that’s in the meeting room, that’s interacting with my teammates, that’s working with my coaches and just really understanding the game plan. Jake [Delhomme] and Seneca [Wallace] did not practice today, but the coaches will ultimately make that decision. [I have been] just really preparing and focusing and we know that New England has a really tough defense. They do a lot of things. They are very, very well coached and we have our hands full.

Q: Has not knowing whether you are going to start from week to week been a difficult adjustment for you?

CM: It is, and I would say just coming to the NFL is an adjustment. Coach [Mike] Holmgren said from the very beginning that I wasn’t going to play this year, so in your mind, you have to not approach it and not embrace the role as a backup. You have to come in there and push yourself, do the work. I know I’m not the starter, but I’m going to prepare like I am. I’m going to get better and I’m going to use this year to be the best I can be and get on the field sometime. Obviously, the situation changed when Jake and Seneca both got their ankles hurt. For me, since I was approaching every game like that, it made it a little bit of an easier transition. [I’m] not saying that it is easy, but that my mindset has been the same over the whole year.

Q: Can you talk about your growth as a player since the preseason?

CM: Well, I think just really working hard. You have to understand that the preseason was really my practice. I didn’t get reps in practice and the times I did make my mistakes or did good things – all that happened in the preseason. I would treat the preseason games as a real game. That was the only reps that I got so my mind would have to be right and I made my mistakes in the preseason. That helped me improve. I learned from them and I studied them and I studied the way Jake and Seneca were playing. Then I got my shot and I got my reps. Then I started playing and I got into a groove. I’ve got a long ways to go as a quarterback. I’m a continual learner. I learn every day and I want to get better and I just really work as hard as I can because on Sundays I have to be the best I can be for my team to go out there and win.

Q: How much interaction do you have with Mike Holmgren?

CM: Well, obviously Brian Daboll is my offensive coordinator and Coach Carl Smith, he’s my quarterbacks coach and I spend a lot of my time with them. But I think it’d be foolish not to be able to take advantage of Coach Holmgren and all the quarterbacks he’s coached and all the knowledge he has. So yeah, I talk with him and sometimes he’s around at practice and just watches from a distance. Coach Smith and Coach Daboll are my coaches, but I obviously take a lot of advice from Coach Holmgren and always expect his coaching.

Q: What has been behind the struggles for the Browns offense this year?

CM: We just need to be more consistent. A lot of it is taking care of the football. In the first couple games at the beginning of the year we killed ourselves with turnovers and we really just beat ourselves. We were in all the football games; they were close. We really need to do a better job of being consistent – from running to passing, staying on the field longer to help our defense. Those are all things we worked on during the bye week and we’re trying to improve on as we come back for the second half of the season.

Q: What has happened to the Texas Longhorns this year?

CM: I don’t know if you all heard, but that was our off week, so I went down to the game and that was the first game I was able to watch. Up here in Cleveland, we don’t get to watch much of the Big 12, especially way down south in Texas, so I haven’t really been able to watch them play. They’re just not executing. I don’t know. It’s the same guys and the same coaches. I feel like we have the greatest coaches in the country at Texas. Obviously I’m biased, but I don’t know. It’s a struggle. It’s hard to watch them.

Q: But losing to Baylor?

CM: I know, I know. Trust me. Phil Dawson is here. Shaun Rogers is here and we just scratch our heads. But a lot of those guys were my teammates last year and I know they’re working hard. I know they are very well coached. The ball is just not falling our way or something.

Q: What have you seen out of Benjamin Watson?

CM: Ben Watson is great. He’s one of the leaders on offense. He catches a lot of balls. He is great at blocking. He is just really a core player in our offense. A lot of things are based around him and his skills and his strengths. He’s great to have on our football team.

Q: Are you wary of Bill Belichick’s track record against young quarterbacks?

CM: I completely understand Coach Belichick and all the success they’ve had. They’ve won three Super Bowls and they’re always in the playoffs. I heard so much about Coach Belichick before I even came into the NFL. You hear his name. You watch their defense. They’re tough. They really are. I respect them 100 percent and I know the guys in the locker room do, too. I know a lot of our coaches have coached with Coach Belichick and I know this game means a lot to them. Like I said, they’re a tremendous defense and they have a heck of an offense. With Tom Brady, they stay on the field a lot, move the ball and score a lot of points. I think they’re leading the league in scoring and we have a huge challenge in front of us with them. I know they’re going to come after us and blitz us. They’re going to pressure us and it’s up to us to see how we handle it and that’s what we’re working for. We’re working to handle the pressure, handle the blitzes and be able to stay on the field.

Q: Patriots DL Brandon Deaderick played at Alabama. Will seeing him on the field this Sunday bring back memories from last year’s BCS Championship Game?

CM: I think both our minds are consumed with the NFL and what we have to do to help our team. I might try to find him after the game and say congratulations again. They played a heck of a game that year. I just wish I was able to play.

Belichick, Mangini Issue Wednesday’s Pack of Lies
Barry McBride on November 3rd, 2010 AT 7:37 PM

So, now it begins. Two coaches who try to out-do each other in subterfuge and injury-related misdirection grumble under the breath and are forced to reveal information about how injured their respective squads happen to be.

Here’s today’s pack of lies. Some call it the “injury report”.

Did Not Participate in Practice
Jake Delhomme, QB (Ankle)
Seneca Wallace, QB (Ankle)
Shaun Rogers, NT (Ankle snicker No Really)
Jason Trusnik, LB, (Not Injury Related*)

Limited Participation in Practice
Kenyon Coleman, DL (Knee)
Alex Smith, TE (Ankle)

* Was put in bullet-proof armor and sent to hang-glide over Patriots practice

Did Not Participate in Practice
Aaron Hernandez, TE (Not Injury Related*)
Jarrad Page, S (Calf)
Fred Taylor, RB (Toe)

Limited Participation in Practice
Deion Branch, WR (Hamstring)
Patrick Chung, S (Knee)
Matt Slater, WR (Ankle)
Full Participation in Practice
Tom Brady, QB (Right snicker Shoulder)
* Was given a jet-pack and a 2×4 and sent after Trusnik

7:28 PM

Podcast: The Grades are In: Barry and Fred hand out mid-term grades, creating angst in Berea. Yep. http://bit.ly/d3Pgxt

Browns Player Quotes, Nov. 3
Don Delco on November 3rd, 2010 AT 3:17 PM

?QB Colt McCoy

(On if he has any extra inspiration for Sunday's game because of the history between Eric Mangini and Bill Belichick)- "I think everybody in the locker room knows that most of our coaches have some type of association with New England and with Coach Belichick. Being a rookie, this is my first time experiencing that, but I know it means a lot to our locker room to win every game every time we step on the field. That's our goal, that's our objective and we want to do the same thing this week. Go out with that mentality to win. Take nothing away, this team and our locker room and our coaches respect New England and respect their coaches. For me, just being on the field with Tom Brady is kind of like last week. Brady has won three Super Bowls and just to be out there playing against him, that's awesome to me."

(On if the last three games have been like a fantasy camp to him)- "I've played against some great quarterbacks, it's really pretty neat. Those guys were rookies at one time too, they've been through the same things. It's been pretty neat."

(On if he has been told if he is going to start Sunday)- "I'm here for whatever they ask me to do. Again, that's a coaches' decision. I know Jake (Delhomme) and Seneca (Wallace) aren't practicing today and I treat it the same way as I have the last several weeks. I've prepared like I'm the starter every time, whether it ends that way or not, I'm going to be prepared to play. I'm just working as hard as I can because I know the rest of this team is doing the same thing. I want to be able to step out on the field and be my best for this team and give this team the best chance to win."

(On if it was a good bye week in getting his jersey retired at Texas and to step back, relax and reflect on his first season thus far)- "It was. It was good to just clear my mind the last couple of days, Thursday, Friday and Saturday when we left here. Honestly, when I was at home and we got the jersey retired, I'm really honored about that. That was fun. I still had one foot in the door over here, my mind was still racing about watching film for New England and what we have got to do to win. I guess that's just me in general. It was fun, it was good to get home and see my family, but I'm glad to be back and rolling again."

(On what it would mean to him to be able to start at home)- "Well again, that's the coaches' decision, but I know I'm really preparing hard this week. We got a little extra work in last week against New England, so we've kind of have a pretty good idea game plan-wise of what we want to do, what we want to accomplish. Like I said, I know that this team is working really hard. We had some good practices before the bye and Monday we had a good one. We have just got to continue to build and New England is a great football team. Defensively, they're extremely well-coached, they're always in the right spots, they don't make many mistakes and we have our hands full with them. I just really have got to be sharp, execute what we are trying to do and that's the only way we will have a chance to win this game."

(On dealing with New England's defensive schemes)- "You watch all of the tape. Obviously, we have watched all of the games and they are a game plan specific team, which they do different things each game depending on what they think is the other team's weakness. I imagine they are going to come after us, I imagine they are going to blitz and I imagine they are going to bring pressure. Just watching the film that we have played already the last two years and obviously understanding that I'm a rookie. I think that plays a big part in it too. We will have to be really sharp going into the game in handling their pressure, handling their blitzes and taking care of the football. Like I said, complete respect to them. They're a great football team, Tom Brady is a great quarterback and you know they are going to score points. We just have to be sharp and execute and be focused and just bring our best to the game Sunday."

(On if Brady is another player he has studied like he did with Drew Brees)- "Yes. Honestly, being here, a lot of the things that we do are from New England. A lot of the plays. It's Tom Brady over and over and over, especially in learning our offense. He's a tremendous quarterback, there's a reason they've won three Super Bowls, the guy is incredible. I think one of the things that I've studied is just his pocket presence, his awareness when in the pocket and when he is got to move. You saw the plays he made against Minnesota, you can't coach that and you can't teach that. That's something that you develop over time and he's got it. Like I said, just to be on the field, to play with him, to see him, it's going to be awesome."

(On what it does to his confidence level knowing he has two games under his belt already going into another tough game)- "I think it only helps being able to play two games on the road in two loud environments. Again, Jake and Seneca are out today, but we will see what happens as the week goes on. I will be prepared, I will be ready. This team is excited to be back home, to play at home again and a great opponent against New England. We have got our hands full with them, but we want to go out there and play well and we are practicing hard and getting ready."

(On what is the coldest game he has ever played in)- "I've played in the snow twice actually. I played in Nebraska and I played in Kansas in 2008 and they were both snowy and cold. I wouldn't say that I'm ready for it, but I'd say that I've done it before and it shouldn't be a big deal."

(On if he has run into a lot of fans around in the last few weeks since he has been playing)- "A few here and there. Whenever you go, if you go out to eat or something, you'll see a lot of fans. People talk, people cheer and it's pretty neat. It's very similar to how it was back home in Texas. Everybody knows who you are and you see people. It's not like that up here yet to an extent, but the fans are great.”

(On if he gets a sense that the fans are behind him)- "I just know that they're really behind this team. The fans here love the Browns and I sensed that when I first got here. Hopefully we can continue to give them something to cheer about, something to get energized about. That's our goal."

(On what Mack Brown or Greg Davis has said to him about the job he has done so far)- "I think they're proud. They're great coaches, obviously they're having their struggles right now, but when I was there I got to sit down and visit with them. It was a lot of fun talking about the change, the transition, how it is compared to Texas and we had a lot of fun with it."

TE Benjamin Watson

(On if it is going to be strange playing against his former team)- "Honestly not really. I think guys go through this all of the time. Guys in the NFL, there's turnover and there's change on every team. Every year, there are guys that you have played with or played against. Right now, we are just focusing on the Patriots and that's just focusing on executing our game plan and preparing for them. They're a very good football team and we are going to have to play very well in order to beat them."

(On how much of a resource he has been in helping plan for New England)- "We are what eight weeks in now, so what they are going to do is what they are going to do. It would be different if it was maybe Week 1 or something like that, but they've shown their tendencies, they've shown their patterns. We know their patterns and everything and watched a lot of film on them. We have got eight weeks worth of film, so there's not much that I can share that would be new at this point."

(On how Mangini and Belichick are alike and different)- "I think they're both great coaches, they're both great game planners. Obviously, Coach Mangini learned a lot from Coach Belichick, and Belichick learned a lot in turn from Coach (Bill) Parcells. It just attributes to how football works. Football is about relationships, it's about passing down knowledge and there are guys under Mangini that are going to be looking at him one day the way he looks at Bill (Belichick). I think both of them are great coaches in their own right."

(On how much the personal relationship between Belichick and Mangini has come up)- "Not at all. That's a personal issue between Coach Mangini and Coach Belichick. That really has nothing to do with us at all."

(On what he remembers about the "spygate" incident in 2007)- "I remember a lot about it. I just remember a lot of that didn't have to do much with the players, so we just went out and played. We were playing the Jets and it was a great game to play in and it was fun and I think it was a big win for the Patriots. All of that stuff kind of stayed out of our realm, and our realm was playing football. The media talked about ‘spygate' and the coaches or whatever, but for us, we were just playing football."

(On why people always speak so highly about their time in New England after they leave there)- "I think what Randy (Moss) was saying, and I don't want to speak for him, but you have relationships. You have relationships with the players and no matter if that's in Cleveland or New England or Atlanta or wherever you are, locker rooms are special. Locker rooms are always special and that's the thing about team sports, the locker room. Getting to know these guys and playing with these guys and hanging out for x amount of years, x amount of games, you develop a relationship with the coaches and most importantly with the players. When you hear players talk about places they have been, it's not necessarily that they want to go back there or they want to put that uniform on or anything like that, it's more, ‘I enjoyed playing with those guys.' You have those relationships and those friendships."

(On what makes Tom Brady so special)- "His attention to detail first and foremost. He's a competitor. He's probably one of the greatest competitors I've ever been around. He wants to win everything, no matter if it's practice, no matter if it's a game, no matter if it's tidilywinks or a card game. Tom wants to win and I think that's what makes him great. He's obviously been in the system for a very long time now, I guess it's got to be about nine or ten years he's been in the system. He knows it like the back of his hand and that's what makes a quarterback dangerous, when they know the system so well that they don't even need the coach. They could go and run the game themselves."

(On if Wes Welker or someone else is the number one receiver in New England)- "I don't know and I don't think they care. What's important for them and is important for us and every team, it's about winning games in this league. There more than anywhere, they find a way to win and that's what we want to do. We want to find a way to win, no matter who's getting the ball or who's running the ball. We want to find a way to win and if there's no number one guy, there's no number one guy, but we want to put Ws up and I think that's their focus, putting Ws on the board."

(On if coming to Cleveland was a good move for him)- "Definitely. I'm enjoying myself, I like the guys in the locker room, I like the coaching staff and I like the area. Obviously, it's a change of pace, but my family and I are enjoying being here in Cleveland definitely."

(On why he left New England with it being such a great place)- "It is a great place, but everything comes to an end. There will be a time where nobody you see in here will be here, coaches included. There will be a time when you won't be here. Sometimes God moves you in a different direction. When God says it's time to go, he has something for you somewhere else. He wants you to do something somewhere else, so the time was at an end and God will say, ‘It was time for you to move on.'"

(On if Belichick is one of the smarter coaches he has ever been around)- "Definitely. He's the first and only coach I've been around until I got here, I was drafted there, but I think he definitely garners respect as a football coach from people around the league. He's definitely one of the great football minds and he's a great coach. I would definitely say he's the best football mind I've been around."

Mangini Press Conference Transcript, Nov. 3
Don Delco on November 3rd, 2010 AT 2:50 PM

(Opening statement)- "Good morning everyone. A couple guys are missing today, really it's the same guys, it will be John (St. Clair), Seneca (Wallace) and Jake (Delhomme) and then Jason Trusnik won't be here this morning he just had a little baby boy, Austin, so we are happy for him and his wife, his first. His whole world is about to change, he doesn't even know. In moving in to the Patriots, I'd say the first thing that stands out about them is what a good job they do at not beating themselves. They've done that historically where they just don't make those mistakes that cost them the game and their very good at capitalizing on the mistakes that other people make. You look at the San Diego game whether there was the ball that rookie receiver put on the ground, or the backward pass that they returned, things like that that consistently they don't make those mistakes and they take advantage of their opponents when they do. Statistically, it's not glaring statistics in one area in terms of just outrageous in the top category in this one or that one. Obviously, points scored offensively is a majored one but overall that's not the focal point. The focal point is doing whatever they need to do on that Sunday to win the game. When you look at them defensively, like the other two phases, it's game plan specific. We'll see some things that other people didn't see. It's very sound in the running game and the passing game and they don't give up big plays. Vince Wilfork, I think, is a real force with the defensive line they move him around some. Jerod Mayo has done an outstanding job. He's got a tremendous amount of tackles especially compared to the next highest guy on the roster which is Patrick Chung. The secondary is young but I think they've done a good job overall. Offensively, they've got Tom (Brady), that's the starting point and he's just so good at identifying what the defense is and then taking advantage of the defense. He's a complete equal opportunity quarterback, it doesn't matter who he's throwing to he's going to the open guy, he's going to defeat the scheme and they are going to keep moving the ball down the field. He's got a lot of different weapons whether it's Wes Welker or they're dishing it to Deion Branch. Benjarvus Green-Ellis I think he's done a nice job running the ball. Danny Woodhead, who we had at New York, really an amazing story the guy's 5-7, 200 pounds and doing a great job. Some young tight ends I think have really produced for them with (Aaron) Hernandez and (Rob) Gronkowski. They're a challenge and they're going to do whatever it takes to move the ball and they do that each week and they do it well. On special teams it's really the same thing. They've done a nice job of taking advantage of opportunities like the blocked punt and the blocked field goal against Miami. They had the kickoff return for a touchdown against Miami. They've produced some other big plays in coverage there and they've got a range of guys that can return the ball and do it well."

(On if Colt McCoy will start on Sunday with Delhomme and Wallace still out)- "He'll take all the reps today and like I said I think Seneca is closer to coming back than Jake but we'll have to see how it goes. Assuming that stays the way it is now, that would be my intention."

(On if he can summarize the influence Bill Belichick had on his career)- "It's hard to summarize. A tremendous influence because working with him here and as a first time coach and being able to see things from that perspective I was actually on the offensive side and I got to view it from that angle, but being able to see his work ethic and his complete knowledge of all three phases, the attention to detail, that left a lasting impression. That last year was a difficult year to say the least and to see how that unfolded and then to fast forward to New York and be an assistant of his in the secondary when he was coaching the secondary as a defensive coordinator and be able to learn secondary play from him and also see how he operated as a defensive coordinator. Then moving to New England going through the lean year that we had there in 2000 and the transition that we made in 2001 and the subsequent years really affected probably all aspects of my development. I am really happy that I had that chance because I think he's arguably one of the best, if not the best coaches in the league."

(On his relationship with Belichick now)- "I don't think it's changed in the last few years. Like I said I have tremendous respect for him and it really hasn't changed since I was in New York."

(On how Belichick was not popular when he was in Cleveland and how that affected him)- "I think that sometimes the things you do aren't really understood but Bill believes in things that he does and there's a commitment to that and the other underlying factor for everything that he does is winning, and that's the driving force. I've always been impressed at his ability to make a decision that may not be the popular decision but it's the right decision and that's not always easy to do. That's often very difficult to do and a lot of the best CEOs and politicians and leaders can do that, they can make those decisions that on the face are very unpopular but are needed in order to grow and to improve and to be successful. He's done it time and time again and been successful time and time again. That's really the way I viewed it."

(On if there is ever a time that him when he and Belichick can be friends again)- "I'd say never say never. Obviously, he was very important to me and I respect him, very important to my family and all those things but we'll see. Time will tell."

(On if it is true that Belichick told him not to take the New York Jets job)- "No, we talked about it, I was in my house at Medfield when I told him about getting the job and he was very supportive of it and we had a great conversation. In terms of anything that's been said subsequent of that I don't really know. I know that conversation was very positive and very supportive and I thanked him for really allowing me to grow and to get that opportunity and having that chance."

(On if he is disappointed that his relationship with Belichick hasn't changed in the last few years)- "I think everything takes care of itself over time. He's had a lot to focus on, I've had a lot to focus on so it's just one of those things right now."

(On how Belichick presented the Browns' move to the staff)- "I think that's one of those things Steve (Doerschuk) that you don't even have to say it. It's just kind of understood. You know you see those black clouds in the horizon, you know there's probably going to be a storm. The important thing that we were trying to do is make sure that in the midst of a very difficult situation because it affected everyone. It affected everyone in the city, everyone in the state, and then it affected all the players on the team, all their families, there wasn't anybody who wasn't touched by that decision and there wasn't anybody who didn't have a lot of uncertainty because of that decision. Then you're trying to put together game plans to win games. You talk about trying to center guys and focus guys, that's a lot of stuff to work around and try to get guys to focus. That's kind of how I remember it."

(On why he and Belichick like to mold players that aren't considered to be top prospects)- "Because guys, when they come in the league, they can grow. They can get better, they can change, they can evolve and if you get guys with a good work ethic that are smart and have talent and then you give them the tools to get better, they are going to take advantage of them. Eventually they become really good players. Sometimes it's just about giving them an opportunity and then spending time with them to help them learn. Danny Woodhead is a good example of that. We talked to him after the draft and got him to come to New York. He played a little bit, he was on the practice squad and now he's getting the opportunity and he's got a great work ethic. He just keeps committing to his craft and it shows up."

(On if he learned that lesson about developing players from Belichick)- "Yes, it's a huge lesson to constantly try to develop the people you have in the building and provide opportunities for people to be successful. Give them tools to work their way up and reward that when they do. There have been so many guys over the years that have done that and have done a great job. You look at Mike DeVito in New York, he's playing really well, he's an undrafted free agent. Steve Neal, a wrestler that worked at it and was kicked around. He started a bunch of years, never played college football."

(On if he learned anything about handling the pressures of being a head coach by watching Belichick)- "Bill's a pretty focused guy and I think the important thing is that you have to know what you stand for, know what you believe in and have conviction. There's always going to be differences of opinion and you respect the differences of opinion, but at the end of the day you have to go with what you feel is right and what you believe is right. Sometimes it is right, sometimes it's wrong, but there's always going to be ideas and thoughts as to how you can do something differently. Your job is to do what you feel is going to give the team an opportunity to be successful.”

(On if he thinks the desire to coach has left Mike Holmgren)- "I don't think it ever leaves your system. I think once you have it, it's always there. Luke Steckel's dad, Les, comes in from time to time and we talk. He's doing something totally different now, but you can feel his passion and his energy when he talks about the game. He coached, I think, Luke's high school team for a little while. It's just in you. He's gone on and done other things and done them really well, but it's a great job. You get a chance to deal with strategy, you get a chance to deal with people, especially younger people. I feel weird saying younger people, but there's an energy there. It's a great job and it's a fun job."

(On if he can appreciate Holmgren's stance on coaching)- "Yes, you always sit around with other coaches sometimes and think, ‘What would you do if you weren't coaching? What would your job have been if you weren't a coach?' When you try to figure that out, it's hard to really pinpoint where you would end up."

(On if given the opportunity, would he talk with Belichick and reconcile to get past the videotaping incident in New England)- "You know Mary Kay (Cabot), I really moved past that personally. That is in the past. I don't know if that would be the focal point of the discussion. It's such a hypothetical, I'm not really sure how the conversation would go or would look like. I don't have a great answer for that."

(On why he thinks there is so much made of their post game handshakes)- "I don't know why, they seem to be very entertaining. I don't know, I'm not sure."

(On how the Patriots continuously and successfully plug in new players after old ones leave)- "There's a strong system in place, especially offensively. That system has been in place for a long time. You figure this is the 10th or 11th year of the program, so there's been a lot of reps built up. There's a strong foundation there as to how things work, so you can take some guys that are less familiar with what you are doing and be able to place them in there and have them be successful. There is a fundamental commitment, and this is across the board whether it's players, coaches, whoever it is, you do whatever you can do to help the team win. It's not about anything besides that. You catch zero balls, it doesn't matter. You catch 50 balls, it doesn't matter. You have 10 tackles it doesn't matter. It's just what can you do to win that game that week, and that is the solitary focus each week. When you have that, it gives you a tremendous opportunity to be successful each week."

(On comparing the 1995 Browns absorbing Andre Rison's ego to the Patriots having to do the same with Randy Moss)- "I don't really know in terms of Moss, but I know that the way it operates, there's no absorption of anybody's ego. Egos are left before you go into the building. That's not how it works. You're part of the greater good, it's not so and so supported by the New England Patriots. It's the New England Patriots featuring whoever.

(On if they will put in a waiver claim for Randy Moss)- "I talked to Tom (Heckert) and I don't think we are going to do that, no."

(On if Benjamin Watson has been what he expected him to be)- "Yes, Ben has been great. He has been very productive in the passing game. I think he adds some things vertically to what we can do. I think he has done a really good job in the running game as well, giving us balance between his ability to be a threat in the passing game and a balance in the running game as well. He's a great person, a great teammate, so all of the things that we were looking for and expected, he has definitely been."

2:21 PM

McCoy Remains Ready: Browns rookie quarterback still not sure of his Sunday starting status. Meanwhile, Browns run… http://bit.ly/cgXnoN

Transcript: Tom Brady, 11/3
Barry McBride on November 3rd, 2010 AT 1:35 PM

Q: No disrespect to Dan Connolly, but what does it mean to have a guy like Logan Mankins back?

BB: It’s great. It’s great. He’s such a great guy. He’s a great player. He’s coming in with a great attitude. I’ve had a chance to talk to him over the last few months. He’s been a great contributor to this team and to this organization. You can never have too many great football players or too many great teammates, so it’s great to have him back.

Q: How quick do you think his transition will be?

BB: I don’t know. Who knows? I’m not sure. We’ll have to wait and see. I hope fast.

Q: Can you describe how today went with his first day back with all the players? Did Bill Belichick address it?

BB: Everyone is excited to have him back. He’s friends with all of us, so as I said, over the course of the last few months, there’s been plenty of interaction with the players. Everyone kind of knew he was coming in today and was just excited to see him and greet him and welcome him back. He’s excited to get out there on the field and start playing football, because that’s really what he loves to do.

Q: In reality, how easy is it to separate the business part of the game from the game on the field?

BB: As you get older it’s probably a little easier. When you’re younger and when you’re going through it the first time, I know for me, it was pretty tough early on. But then as you see different things happen and players come and go and coaches come and go, it’s just kind of the way it is. I think from each individual’s standpoint, you’re just focusing on your job, what you need to do, how you can contribute, how you can be a leader, how you can bring energy to the team and then let everything else take care of itself. You just worry about what you have to do and if you don’t, you’re the one that’s going to be out of a job.

Q: What are your thoughts on everything that has gone on with Randy Moss since the game?

BB: I have no idea. I have thoughts; I just don’t really care to share them.

Q: You mentioned having talked with Logan over the past few months. Was that football related or personal?

BB: Probably both – obviously his well-being and his mindset. I think you just always try to express support and you understand what he’s going through and the tough decisions that are made, but also maybe a different perspective from a player that’s been through it. Like I said, I’ve been around for a while now – longer than most everybody in this locker room, so I think I just try to share a little bit of insight and maybe it can create some awareness for them.

Q: Are there any more or different emotions going up against a team led by someone who worked under Bill Belichick like Eric Mangini? Do you feel any different and do you sense that he feels any different?

BB: I think you have more familiarity, no question about that, into their attitude, their style. Rob Ryan – he’s been here. I know him very well and I know his style, and Eric [Mangini] and what he’s done over the years to try to stop us as an offense. Then you identify the style that they’re playing with now and you kind of assess how you think they’re going to play us, and that’s what we’re going to go out and practice. Even though we haven’t played them in a while, I think we’re pretty familiar with what they do. We’re a little bit behind them in preparation as they had the off week and I’m sure they’ve been working on us. They had a big win in New Orleans. That’s a very tough place to play and I’m sure they have a lot of confidence playing us at home. We’ve got a different challenge than we had last week and it’s a very different style of defense. They’ve got some real strengths on this defense. We’ve got to find ways to avoid playing into their strengths.

Q: What are those strengths?

BB: You guys have got to figure that out. We can’t go out and tell you our…we’ve got an idea of what we think they are going to do to stop us. They’re a real good team. They’ve got a good scheme. They’ve got tough players – guys that fit the scheme really well. When they get things going, they’re really tough. We’ve got to find ways to counter that.

Q: Back to Randy Moss – do you every have concern about him as a guy, not as a football player, or is it just him as a player? I’m sure he couldn’t have imagined not being with a team a few days after that game…

BB: I don’t know. Those are all things that he can answer. Honestly, he speaks for himself and he’s just a great friend of mine. I know the relationship that I have with him and it goes beyond football. I guess that’s all I have to say.

Q: Would you welcome him back?

BB: Would I welcome him back? You can ask Coach Belichick. I don’t make the decisions around here. If I did, Lawyer Milloy would still be here and Deion [Branch] never would have left. Whatever I want doesn’t happen anyway, so I just try to keep my mouth shut.

Q: It seems like almost a throwback Patriots team this year. Despite your record, you’re kind of under the radar around the NFL. Is that how you like it?

BB: I mean, I’d prefer us to be playing a lot better than we’re playing, I’d say that. Maybe we’d get more attention if we were playing more consistently as an offense and scoring more points and being more effective on third down and in the red area. I think we’ve got to find ways to play better football as a team. Our record is what it is, and I don’t think that’s going to do anything at the end of the day. I don’t think our goal is to win six games this year and certainly we’ve won a lot more games than that around here. I think what we’re trying to do is make improvements. I’m not in a great mood coming in here every day; I think there are plenty of things that we have to do to get to work and you try to keep the pressure on the younger players and hopefully that leads to better execution and pressure on the older players, too. We’ve all got to play better. It’s going to be a good week for us. To get a guy like Logan back to add what he can bring to our team in terms of his toughness and dependability…we’ve all got to play more consistent and more dependable.

McCoy Looking More Likely Each Day
Barry McBride on November 3rd, 2010 AT 12:17 PM

As Fred Greetham tweeted earlier today, Browns quarterbacks Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace are both sidelined today, meaning that Colt McCoy will again get the bulk or reps in practice.

Each day that McCoy is the only healthy starter in practice makes it more likely that he gets that call on Sunday. I wouldn’t count it as done unless he remains in this situation on Friday, as players typically need to practice by then to be part of the game plan on Sunday.

The Browns seem to be in a mode where they’ll happily take these sorts of convenient delays to get more data on their rookie quarterback, much as Mike Holmgren refuses to say anything about Eric Mangini’s status until the end of the year. If Wallace was ready, he would be put in the position of making a “now or future” decision at quarterback. Wallace’s lingering inability to play allows him and the front office to get more tape on McCoy and push off a hard decision until next week.

10:43 AM

St. Clair, wallace, delhomme not practicing wed.

10:06 AM

TSX: Browns Midseason Grades: During the bye week, the Sports Xchanges hands out its midterm grades. http://bit.ly/9QBedD

Latest Links from the OBR Newswire
OBR Newswire on November 3rd, 2010 AT 10:00 AM

These are links from the OBR Newswire for November 3rd from 09:36 to 09:41:

5:26 AM

Holmgren: ‘Bottom Line Is Wins’: Browns president Mike Holmgren addressed the media Tuesday in Berea. http://bit.ly/csDOiK

11:59 AM

Joe’s Midseason Review: Joe Brownlee breaks down the Browns at the season’s midpoint http://bit.ly/aC8BDM

11:40 AM

@DJ84 No buzz reaching us that the Browns would claim him. It wouldn’t make much sense, but I’ve learned to “never say never”.

11:17 AM

@BxLeister5 No. The likely result from grabbing Moss would be a $6.4 million unmotivated headache pouting his way through the season.

Browns 9th in Moss Sweepstakes
Don Delco on November 2nd, 2010 AT 10:19 AM

Randy Moss has been waived by the Minnesota Vikings just three weeks after the team acquired him from New England for a third round pick. Bizzare.

With Moss now available for teams to pick him up, do the Browns partake in the enigma wrapped in a riddle that is Moss?

In 2005-06, Moss played in Oakland where current Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan held the same job with the Raiders.

Canton Repository's Steve Doerschuk re-hashed the comments Ryan made regarding Moss about a month ago in Berea. Ryan spoke about Moss because the Browns were preparing for Terrell Owens and the Cincinnati Bengals.

"I tell you what, I was there with Randy Moss in Oakland, and he was fantastic. He was a great competitor … he was tremendous. "

"I can't speak for (Owens), but nobody worked harder than Randy Moss. That was always amazing to me about how he was covered. I don't know if he was talking to the media or not.

"Man, I saw a guy that has unbelievable work ethic, a super competitor, still a great athlete … and then he went on to New England and went on to shock the world by being great. He never shocked me. I think in Oakland, we actually might have had more problems with the guy throwing him the ball. That might have been the biggest problem."

The Buffalo Bills have the NFL's worst record at 0-7, so they get the first crack at claiming Moss on waivers. Seven more crappy teams are up before the Browns at ninth. Teams place claims today and tomorrow at 4 p.m. the NFL will announce who earned the rights to Moss.

It's doubtful the Browns put in a claim for Moss. Yes, the Browns desperately need wide receiver help, but not at the expense of Moss' personality contrasting the type of players Eric Mangini typically targets.

Latest Links from the OBR Newswire
OBR Newswire on November 2nd, 2010 AT 9:00 AM

These are links from the OBR Newswire for November 2nd from 07:52 to 07:53:

Spare Me, Cubs Fans
Don Delco on November 2nd, 2010 AT 8:17 AM

Last night, I was poking around Twitter —you can hit me up at @DonDelcoOBR — when I came across a tweet from a Chicago-area sports journalist. The San Francisco Giants just won the World Series and this person was longing for the day the Chicago Cubs will win a title. It was punctuated with a #sigh.

Give me a break, Cubs fans.

Look, I love your city. I grew up in the area. I understand why there is a strong love for Wrigley Field, the neighborhood around the park and the team. I even like your team. I understand it has been more than a century since your team has won a title. But fans from that city need to stop ringing their hands over the lack of a World Series title by the Cubs.

You don't have it that bad. Sure, the Cubs lose more than they win. But at least you've got some relief from the city's other teams.

Since 1985, Chicago has won a Super Bowl (1985), a World Series (2005), a Stanley Cup (2009-10) and six NBA titles (91-93 & 96-98).

Cleveland fans wear the badge of dishonor when it comes to their pro sports teams. It's not a badge worn proudly, but it's a badge on our lapels nonetheless. Sadly, no city with at least three professional sports teams has a worse title-less streak than Cleveland.

That deserves a #sigh.

11:32 PM

@3_Dots Moss just doesn’t seem to fit the Mangini mold, unless he wants to take his Belichick disciple status to a whole new level.

Latest Links from the OBR Newswire
OBR Newswire on November 1st, 2010 AT 11:00 PM

These are links from the OBR Newswire for November 1st from 07:27 to 22:41:

9:51 PM

@scottiegraef Just can’t see the Browns bringing in a problem child like Moss, no matter how big their need at WR. Doesn’t fit the pattern.

Jerry Sherk Radio Interview
Don Delco on November 1st, 2010 AT 8:48 PM

Former Browns defensive tackle Jerry Sherk was interviewed Grants Pass, Oregon’s KAJO AM 1270 back on Sept. 7. Sherk, who was born in Grants Pass in 1948, played for the Browns from 1970-81 and was a four-time Pro Bowler, and in 1976 he was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1975 and an All-Pro.

During his interview with 1270′s Carl Wilson, Sherk talks not only about his time playing at Grants Pass High School and for Oregon State, but also his career with the Browns.

Currently, Sherk lives near San Diego where he runs Mentor Management Systems, a business that purports to provide technical assistance for organizations that are developing youth and ex-offender mentoring programs.

Browns-Patriots Game Release
Barry McBride on November 1st, 2010 AT 8:21 PM

Some reading for you from the Browns. Here’s this week’s game release. Right-click and save to put it on your hard drive.

The OBR Top Stories