Stranger Than Non-Fiction
Dave Kolonich on January 7th, 2011 AT 10:40 PM
From the Department of News That Almost Was, here's an interesting little tidbit regarding the Browns' most recent ex-head coach.
Dolphins sources insist the intent of the meeting was not to interview Mangini for the team’s head-coaching position, but instead to pick his brain as a “consultant” who has “knowledge of the division.”
Eric Mangini – the "consultant?"
Stranger things have happened – like Marty Morningwheg again becoming a prime NFL head coaching candidate.
Haden finalist for NFL Rookie of the Year
Don Delco on January 7th, 2011 AT 12:20 PM
The NFL announced Joe Haden is one of five rookies who are finalist to win the 2010 NFL Rookie of the Year award. Fans can vote to determine the winner by going to www.nfl.com/rookies now through Tuesday, Fe.b 1 at 9 p.m.
The winner will be announced on Thursday, Feb. 3.
Haden finished with six interceptions, which tied him for fifth in the NFL. He led the Browns with 18 pass break-ups and added 57 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble and eight special teams tackles. His six interceptions were the most by a Browns player since 2007 and most since a Browns rookie since 2001. In weeks 10-13, he became the first Browns player to record an interception in four consecutive games since Ernie Kellerman in 1968.
The other finalists are:
•Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams quarterback
•Devin McCourty, New England cornerback
•Ndamukong Suh, Detroit Lions defensive tackle
•Mike Williams, Tampa Bay wide receiver
@Calis32 LOL… cool. We’ll let the Jets bring him on.
@tomh24 No word on Ryan getting an interview here. He doesn’t seem like the type of coach Holmgren is targeting.
@Calis32 @peeker643 Where did you hear of the Browns interest in Adams?
@PhilSenichBTFM @siddfinch Arizona seems like the logical place for Young to wind up to me. Doesn’t make sense for the Browns, IMHO.
Latest Links from the OBR Newswire
OBR Newswire on January 7th, 2011 AT 8:00 AM
These are links from the OBR Newswire for January 7th from 07:08 to 07:12:
- Plain Dealer – Jon Gruden’s dad thinks Cleveland Browns would be a good fit for his son – The Browns’ coaching job is a great fit for Jon Gruden, but he doesn’t know if he wants to return to coaching just yet.
- Plain Dealer – Eric Mangini says Cleveland Browns are in a place to win consistently – "Can you win with the Browns?"
- Canton Repository – Are coaching candidates afraid of Lerner? – As word circulates that Jim Harbaugh wouldn’t even consider Cleveland, speculation escalates that ownership might be making Browns candidates nervous.
- Akron Beacon Journal – Coach candidates are lining up – St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur is expected to be the leadoff man as the Browns interview candidates for their head coaching vacancy.
- News-Herald – Browns’ coaching search: Shurmur and Mularkey are first to interview – The Browns are in for a busy weekend of interviews with potential replacements for Eric Mangini, but the search will continue into next week and most likely beyond.
Trust needed during Holmgren’s search: New coach aside, Browns simply need more talented players http://bit.ly/eoXOYI
Fun with Quotes!: DK runs down some of the more memorable proclamations of the expansion era. http://bit.ly/dGlSgq