Browns talk to two defenders at Shrine Game
Don Delco on January 18th, 2011 AT 1:58 PM
According to an OBR source, the Cleveland Browns talked to a couple players at today’s East practice at the East-West Shrine game. Both players were defenders.
The Browns were among four teams that talked with North Carolina defensive tackle Marvin Austin. The Browns were the only team to talk to Central Florida defensive end Bruce Miller.
On Oct. 11, Austin (6-foot-3, 310 pounds) was dismissed from the team after being suspended indefinitely from the team on Sept. 1 for violating unidentified team rules. In 2009, Austin started 12 games, registered 42 tackles, six for a loss, four sacks and three pass breakups. He is considered the top senior defensive tackle.
Miller is a 6-foot-2, 248-pound defensive end has earned two consecutive Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year honors and finished as the school’s all-time sacks leader with 27. That placed Miller tied with Florida’s Alonzo Johnson (1981-85) for ninth with the most sacks by a Division I player from Florida. Miami’s Daniel Stubbs is first on that list with 39.5 sacks from 1984-87. In addition to 27 career sacks, Miller finished with 44 tackles for a loss.
Latest Links from the OBR Newswire
OBR Newswire on January 18th, 2011 AT 9:00 AM
These are links from the OBR Newswire for January 18th from 08:33 to 08:36:
- Canton Repository – Doerschuk: Are Browns closing the gap on Jets? – Forget Pittsburgh. Why waste the mental energy? The Browns can’t say with a straight face they are close to the Steelers.
- Akron Beacon Journal – Daboll confident about the future – Brian Daboll wrapped up his final news conference as the Browns' offensive coordinator by exchanging handshakes with reporters and assuring them it wasn't his funeral.
- The Associated Press – Browns’ search for assistants heating up – Placing a premium on experience, the Browns will interview former NFL head coach Dave Wannstedt for their defensive coordinator position this week, a league source said.
- Cleveland.com – The one about paying Peyton Hillis – Last year was the year Browns fans collectively begged management to “Pay Josh Cribbs!”
- Morning-Journal – Wake-up Call: Browns, Jets better off without Mangini – Two weeks into the NFL playoffs, much like last season, it’s safe to say that parting ways with Eric Mangini was a good idea for the New York Jets following the 2008 season.
- Morning Journal – Jim Zorn could be Browns’ next offensive coordinator – Jim Zorn, currently the quarterbacks coach of the Baltimore Ravens, could be the Browns next offensive coordinator, according to league sources.
- National Football Post – Brian Daboll to run Dolphins’ offense – The Miami Dolphins are expected to hire former Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, according to the Miami Herald.
- NFLPA.com – Letter From Kevin Mawae to Fans of the NFL – First off, the Players of the National Football League and I want to thank you for doing your part as a fan and signing the petition to help us Block the NFL Lockout