As the clock clicks ever-closer to the beginning of the free agent player signing period, speculation is heating up regarding potential Browns targets.
Securing a pass rusher remains the hottest area of interest and speculation surrounds the necessity to secure such a talent.
TheOBR has learned additional details to piggy-back our earlier free agency reporting.
The Browns intend on speaking to numerous pass rushing talent in the initial stages of free agency – in which teams and player representatives can discuss deals starting on March 9th, but cannot be officially signed to deals until March 12th.
Through various avenues of information procurement – those within or close to the Browns or player representatives, this is what theOBR has learned.
- As previously reported by theOBR, the Browns will talk with the representative for OLB Paul Kruger (Baltimore).
- As previously reported by theOBR, the Browns will talk with the representative for OLB Quentin Groves (Arizona).
- As previously reported by theOBR, the Browns have an interest in CB's Keenan Lewis (Pittsburgh) and Greg Tolar (Arizona).
- TheOBR previously reported the Browns interest in CB Cary Williams (Baltimore). This interest appears to be waning due to information circulated that the DB seeks a deal worthy of a top-ten CB.
- League sources tell theOBR the Browns are a quiet candidate looking at DE Michael Bennett (Tampa Bay).
- Those close to DE Cliff Avril (Detroit) tell theOBR they expect the Browns to be in contact on March 9th.
- The Browns remain interested in DE/OLB Victor Butler (Dallas).
- Those close to CB Antoine Cason (San Diego) expect the Browns to inquire regarding the player.
- The Browns are expected to look to the second level of free agents at the OG position. Names making rounds to theOBR are Geoff Schwartz (Minnesota) and Chad Rinehart (Buffalo).
- With the quality and depth at S a concern for the Browns, the organization has conducted in-depth evaluation on Patrick Chung (New England).
- The Browns are leaning against making a huge offer to a safety in free agency.
- Over the past two weeks, the Browns have done extensive research and scouting of the available TE's in free agency. TheOBR has learned the Browns will not be getting serious with Jared Cook (Tennessee), but are quite impressed with Brandon Myers (Oakland) and Dustin Keller (Jets), while Fred Davis (Washington) intrigues.
- Indications are the Browns are placing more emphasis on obtaining a significant TE, rather a WR in the initial stages of free agency.
- Once upon a time the Browns were linked to everything and anything WR Mike Wallace. The jets have cooled on the WR from a Cleveland standpoint, but the door is not closed. The Browns are said to be interested in discussing with Wallace's agent, but the checkbook may not be as extensive as what others may pony up for the speedy Wallace.
- TheOBR has been told the Browns will not be actively engaging WR Greg Jennings (Green Bay) in this initial rush of free agency.