- The Browns could be in for a significant battle, if they want to land Marc Trestman, Adam Gase or Bill Callahan as the new OC. New Oakland HC Jack Del Rio has spoken to both Gase and Trestman in the hours leading up to being named the head coach on Oakland. Gase is presently discussing the HC opening in Denver, while Trestman has spoken with the Browns. Del Rio and Gase have a solid working relationship from their time together in Denver.
- Early indications are Callahan will not become the next OC of the Browns due to a very strong effort in wooing the veteran offensive coach from an NFC team. The Browns remain intrigued by Callahan due to his experience and success, with his offensive line expertise being a major asset. The Browns wanted to discuss the Browns OC position a year ago with Callahan, but the attempt was rebuffed by the Dallas Cowboys.
- The Browns are impressed with Trestman. His experience and adaptable offensive philosophy are intriguing to the Browns, as is approach in communicating/teaching of players. As of Wednesday night, neither the Browns nor Trestman had committed.
- The Browns while having Greg Roman and Chan Gailey on their list of OC candidates to speak with, the organization is not disappointed that neither will be coming to Cleveland for the vacant position.
- The Browns continue to be very intrigued with Oakland QB coach John DeFilippo, who is a young, imaginative candidate that has received glowing recommendations. Oakland would like to retain DeFilippo as their QB coach, but with the Raiders talking Gase and Trestman and a potential OC in the wings, DeFilippo could be on the move.
At the present time, the Browns do not appear poised to hand the OC duties over to a first-time play-caller unless the organization adds a senior offensive assistant coach with play-calling experience to enable development.
- Matt Cavanaugh is an offensive coach the Browns will talk with, but the end-game with Cavanaugh may not be as an OC. Pettine has positive history with Cavanaugh and a senior offensive role could be in the offing -- opening an opportunity for the Browns to legitimately discuss the OC job with DeFilippo or current Browns TE coach Brian Angelichio.