CLEVELAND--The Browns unveiled the statue of their greatest player.
On the stage was Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, Browns Radio Voice Jim Donovan, Brown with his wife and son:
After a short video, Donovan introduced Haslam who talked about his first experiences with the Browns' legend and his decision to get him more and more involved with the organization over the last four years.
Then Brown took to the podium but instead of talking Browns football, he talked about his passion for community involvement, noted those in the crowd that he recognized from years and years and encouraged all to stay involved in the Cleveland community.
Then came the unveiling:
My favorite photo was this closeup:
Details on the statue itself:
- Made of bronze with stainless steel metal support.
- 11'6" tall total
- Figure stands 8'6"
- Weighs more than 2,000 pounds
- Took six month from commission to unveiling to create
For those who do not know the history of Brown's NFL history:
- RB from 1957 - 1965
- Leading rusher for 8 of the 9 seasons he played.
- Set record for highest yards per carry average by a RB in his career, 5.22.
- Set Browns franchise records for career rushing yards, 12,312, rushing attempts, 2,359, and rushing touchdowns, 106.
- No Browns player has worn #32 since Brown retired.
A great day for the Browns. Honoring perhaps the greatest player of all time with a permanent statue is fitting all he did for the team.
What do you think about the statue and the Browns honoring Jim Brown today?null