After last Tuesday's press conference, we realized that there would be a lot of speculation about the Browns off-season moves which would quickly appear. That is happening, and fast.
We'll try to help you separate legit items from all the background noise generated from dozens of web sites, radio programs, and newspapers.
Here's the latest from Lane Adkins and Tony Pauline in Indianapolis :
- Lane reports that Arizona Cardinals are looking for a veteran QB to compete for the starting spot. We can now officially dismiss the Cleveland newspaper rumor that the Browns are trying to deal up in the draft with the Cards. The Cardinals have not discussed a deal with the Browns for quarterback Tim Couch.
- We've been murmuring Roy Williams name for a couple of weeks now, as we believe that the Browns are interested in the Texas WR as one of several potential selections at the 7/8 draft slot. Williams continues to impress, and we now know that representatives of the Browns have spoken with him in Indy.
- The team's interest in Ben Roethlisberger continues. Tony Pauline was the first to report that Browns scouts were all over the Miami QB at the Senior Bowl. Lane now reports that the Browns have been mentioned as a team requesting an interview with Roethlisberger at Indianapolis. With associated news that both the Chargers and Cardinals seem to be edging away somewhat from the expectations that they will draft quarterbacks, the notion that Roethlisberger could fall as far as the #7 or #8 pick might not be as far-fetched as it seemed a month ago. At the same time, though, the Cardinals, Chargers, Raiders, Cowboys and Packers are other teams
- Drew Henson's name keeps coming up in the same sentence as the phrase "Cleveland Browns". Lane reported earlier today that the Dolphins are looking more intently into the details of a deal for Henson, and that the Steelers may emerge from the shadows over the coming days. At the same time, however, Lane reports that the Browns interest in Henson is "serious" and a story from the Dayton Daily News earlier today has Davis admitting that the Browns are talking to the Texans. A dozen teams have spoken to the Texans about the Michigan alum.
- Patrick Ramsey's name is now in play - unofficially - since the Redskins acquired veteran quarterback Mark Brunell. The Browns have admitted talking to the Redskins about Champ Bailey, and now Ramsey can be added to that list. Talks will reportedly continue this weekend, although nothing seems imminent. Ten teams have been rumored to be having similar conversations with the Skins.
- Lane reports that there are rumors in Indy that Dallas has shown an interest in William Green along with Cincinnati's Corey Dillon.
- The Browns are interested in speaking to WR Lee Evans of Wisconsin. Evans looks like an early second-round pick possibility, although there's an outside chance he could get into the first round.
- The Browns are known to still have an interest in CFL quarterback Ricky Ray, but Lane tells us that the Broncos are the front-runners to land him at this point.
More as it breaks, through the weekend and around the clock....