Butch Davis gets a look at his new players today as the Browns open their first mini-camp of the season. Bernie's Insiders will be there today and over the weekend as we get our first look at the players as well.
The mandatory mini-camp will span three days, with practices Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and afternoon, and a final practice on Sunday morning. The players arrived Thursday night for meetings and physicals.
Here are some updates as we get set to see the new Browns in action:
- According to published reports, WR Dennis Northcutt will not attend the mini-camp. While Northcutt and the Browns are not engaged in the verbal war of several weeks ago, things have not settled down to the point where Northcutt will attend camp. The prospective free agent is still upset with having been denied free agency.
- Tim Couch will not be at mini-camp as his exit from the team is all but complete. The Browns do not want to take the risk of Couch being injured. His locker has been removed.
- Terrell Browden, who played tight end at Southern Mississippi, is listed by the Browns as a fullback as mini-camp begins.
- Clarence Curry, a defensive back reportedly signed out of Villanova, has not appeared in the team's update of roster information. We will attempt to find out if this is a delay or if Curry has not joined the team. Other than that, all the players identified by BerniesInsiders.com this week are on the roster. More information on the new free agents is available via the middle section of our home page.
- Hugh Smith, a wide receiver previously with the Ravens who joined the Browns, has disappeared off the team's rosters and depth charts, and appears to have been released.
- Some players seem to have changed numbers heading into this season. James Jackson reportedly will wear 21, and Gerard Warren is wearing 61. John Nix wore that number last year.
More details available on Bernie's Insiders as we get them!