The kickoff return situation remains a mystery. The Browns cut Dee Brown before the Philadelphia game. Andre Davis was out and Andre King got hurt early against the Eagles, leaving James Jackson and Frisman Jackson to fulfill those duties. Each had a costly fumble. Butch Davis would not divulge who would return kicks this week.
PLAYER PERSONNEL NOTES
- WR Andre Davis practiced Wednesday and is expected to play Sunday after
missing the Eagles game with a sprained toe.
- WR Andre King did not practice Wednesday and is unlikely to play this week
because of an ankle sprain.
- OG Paul Zukauskas said his sprained knee is healed. The knee affected his
mobility and was a key reason he lost his starting LG spot to Enoch DeMar.
- RG Kelvin Garmon said he was completely over the effects of a quadriceps
injury sustained against the Bengals.
- K Phil Dawson has made all 14 of his field-goal attempts this season and has
the longest current streak in the NFL with 24 straight
- TE Steve Heiden said he should be fully recovered from a sprained medial collateral knee ligament. He had been playing through the injury.
GAME PLAN: The Browns' strategy is pretty simple. On offense, they'll pound the ball with William Green and Lee Suggs, hope Jeff Garcia can move the chains with short passes and occasionally take a shot deep. Defensively, the Browns will gang up on Jamal Lewis and force Kyle Boller to beat them with his arm. With a weak receiving corps and tight end Todd Heap probably out, that's a chance the Browns are more than willing to take.
MATCHUPS TO WATCH
- Browns C Jeff Faine vs. Ravens NT Kelly Gregg. Gregg doesn't get much attention, but he's a critical part of Baltimore's defense. Faine, Cleveland's first-round draft pick in 2003, has been fairly solid but not dominating. Faine will have to clear Gregg out of the middle if the Browns are to have much success running the ball.
- Browns MLB Andra Davis, who is second on the team with 55 tackles, vs. Ravens RB Jamal Lewis. Stopping Lewis will be an 11-man job, but Davis shoulders much of the load. It'll be crucial for Davis to play disciplined and not overrun plays because Lewis is a good cutback runner.
- WR Andre Davis is listed as probable with a sprained toe. He is using a new orthotic and a different shoe construction, which the Browns hope will allow him
to play at close to 100 percent. He participated in team drills without
- WR Andre King did not practice and is doubtful to play. That will cause newly
acquired Antonio Bryant to see more playing time.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "I'm not putting my foot in my mouth this time. I'm batting
1.000. I'm not going to mess it up. I know we're going to go out and play well
and play hard, so I don't have to make any predictions." -- DE Kenard Lang, when
asked if would again predict the Browns' defense would shut down Jamal Lewis as
he did before the opener.