Browns Declaw Bears

The Browns roared back from a fourth-quarter deficit to defeat the Chicago Bears 20-10 today and even their record at 2-2. Fred Greetham has a full report on today's action that left Browns fans with a happy ride home from Cleveland Browns Stadium!

CLEVELAND – In a game that couldn't be considered a defensive struggle — it was more of an offensively-challenged game — the Browns roared back with two late touchdowns by Antonio Bryant in a span of just 38 seconds. The result was a 20-10 victory over the Bears. The win evened the Browns record at 2-2 and it gave the Browns their first win at home since they beat the Bengals, 34-17, on Oct. 17, 2004. The Browns had lost six games in a row in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

"It was good winning at home because that is what we talked to the players about during the week, even back to the bye," Romeo Crennel said. "Being able to win at home and giving the effort that you need to and try to take advantage of the home field advantage.

"We feel good about the win," he said. "We feel good for the fans and we feel good for the city. Now, we are .500, so that helps a little bit and now, we have to focus on the next one. We need to see if we can get above .500—that will be the focus this week."

The prospects for a win looked bleak as the Bears led 10-6 and were moving the ball behind the running of Thomas Jones. However, Jones injured his knee and the Bears had to punt the ball back to the Browns with 5:47 to play. Jones left the game with 137 yards on 24 carries.

"It was ugly out there," Trent Dilfer said. "I'll be the first to admit that. I knew I wasn't playing my best, but all that it took was two plays all day."

Bryant agreed.

"Things were kind of slow on offense," Bryant said. "It was like we were running in the mud."

The Browns got out of the mud just in time.

Brad Maynard punted and had the Browns pinned back at the 17, but a motion penalty on the Bears forced Maynard to punt again. This time, Dennis Northcutt fielded the punt at the 31 and returned it 15 yards to the Browns' 46. The difference in field position was a plus 29 yards for the Browns.

After back-to-back completions to tight ends Steve Heiden and Aaron Shea, Dilfer found Bryant for a 33-yard touchdown in the left corner of the end zone over Chris Harris.

"I just wanted to do my part," Bryant said. "Everyone was doing their part and I just wanted to be ready when called upon."

With the Browns clinging to a 13-10 lead, they could have played conservatively, but they didn't as Dilfer went right back to Bryant for the second score.

"A lot of people thought we were going to be conservative, but I was very happy," Bryant said. "That's a receiver's dream.

"The plays were similar, but I just went to the corner on the longer one," Bryant said. "I wasn't discouraged, but I was just antsy because I knew I could get open."

Dilfer, who was 23-of-34 for 218 yards with two interceptions and two sacks said he knew it only would take a couple of plays to win the game. Bryant finished with six catches for 83 yards, including the two scores.

"When you're not playing well as a quarterback, you can't panic," Dilfer said. "I kept reminding the guys that we were just one play from being ahead.

"(On the second touchdown), we were trying to milk the clock," he said. "We were playing for three and I told him in the huddle to stay alive."

The touchdowns broke a scoring drought of seven quarters dating back to Steve Heiden's 62-yard score in the fourth quarter of the win over the Packers. They did not get into the end zone against the Colts and the first three quarters against the Bears.

Overall, Crennel was happy with the win.

"The progress is slow progress," he said. "The most encouraging thing is they can be put in tough situations and keep teams out of the end zone and hold to field goals.

"We weren't clicking early," Crennel said. "We feel good about the victory we got because we kept playing and kept playing even though it looked bleak at times, offensively. We feel good for the city and can win some more games fight, hang in there and play for 60 minutes. We did that and were able to do that."

The OBR Top Stories