Bengals Run by Browns, 23-20

The Cincinanti Bengals edged the determined Cleveland Browns 23-20 on Sunday afternoon in Paul Brown Stadium in Cincy. Here is Fred Greetham with the game recap...

The Browns went to Cincinnati with an upset on their mind.

However, all that was upset was their stomachs as the Bengals held off the Browns for a 23-20 win as Shayne Graham kicked his third field goal from 37 yards out as time expired. The Browns are now 4-9 and are still winless in the AFC North.

Two penalties on Leigh Bodden moved the Bengals into field goal position to set up the win for the Bengals.

After stopping the Bengals on the opening kickoff, the Browns took the ball and marched down the field for a touchdown and a quick 7-0 lead. Charlie Frye was 3-of-3 on the drive and he ran the ball twice, including the run for the score. Reuben Droughns had a 17-yard run on his first carry.

However, that lead was short-lived as the defense couldn't contain the NFL's No. 1 offense. After the Browns scored, the Bengals went right down the field and tied the game on a run by Rudi Johnson from eight-yards out with 4:18 to play in the first quarter. Johnson did most of the damage as the Bengals went 65 yards in just 3:59.

The Browns got a turnover as linebacker Andra Davis stepped in front of a Carson Palmer pass and returned it to the Bengals' 19. On third-and-goal from the two, Frye hit tight end Steven Heiden for the score and a 14-7 lead with 12:18 lead.

Much on the legs of Rudi Johnson, the Bengals marched down the field and cut the Browns lead to 14-10 with 7:38 to play in the first half. Johnson had 124 yards rushing in the first half.

Just prior to the end of the first half, the Bengals added another field goal to make it 14-13 on a 27-yard field goal by Shayne Graham.

The Browns took the opening kickoff of the third quarter and took nearly nine minutes off the clock before adding a 41-yard field goal by Phil Dawson with 6:11 left in the third quarter to give the Browns a 17-13 lead. The Browns went 60 yards in 13 plays

The Browns started at their own 16 after a holding penalty on the kickoff. A screen pass to Lee Suggs took the ball inside the Bengals' 10-yard line, but a holding penalty on the play moved the ball back to the 30.

An interception by Deltha O'Neal led the Bengals to a touchdown by T.J. Houshmandezah from Palmer to give the Bengals a 20-17 lead with two seconds left in the third quarter.

The Browns tied the game at 20-20 with 4:19 to play as Dawson kicked his second field goal of the game.

The OBR Top Stories