Browns-Raiders: By The Numbers
- The Raiders lead the all-time series 9-6, although the Browns have won five of the last six meetings dating back to 1987.
- The Browns largest margin of victory in the series is 12 (28-16 on 9-20-92 in Los Angeles); the Raiders largest margin of victory is 26 (36-10 on 9-24-00 in Oakland)
- The Browns are ranked 30th in total offense (rushing 31st, passing tied for 17th) and 28th in total defense (rushing tied for 25th, passing 25th); the Raiders are ranked 32nd (T29th, 32nd) and 10th (31st, 2nd).
- If the Raiders lose and the Dolphins win Sunday, Miami will overtake Oakland as the winningest franchise in professional football since the 1963 season. Currently, the Raiders hold a .602-.599 winning-percentage edge over the Dolphins.
- The Raiders are the only franchise to have appeared in a Super Bowl in four different decades.
- On a somewhat related note, Oakland's Al Davis is the only owner to have worn sweatsuits and gold chains for five consecutive decades. The next closest is zero by 31 other current NFL owners.
- The Browns and Raiders are two of nine teams who have qualified for the playoffs in each of the last five decades.
- Charlie Frye's two wins in eight career starts is one more than the totals of
Doug Pederson, Ty Detmer, Spergon Wynn and Luke McCown in their combined 15 starts with the Browns.
- The above stat is apropos of nothing, other than the fact that it affords me the opportunity to type the name "Spergon Wynn" yet again.
- In eight red zone attempts, the Browns' offense has scored five touchdowns and one field goal while committing one (costly) turnover.
- Conversely, the Browns' defense has faced eleven red zone situations, and has given up five touchdowns and six field goals.
- For the math impaired, that means the Browns' defense has given up points 100% of the time teams have broached the red zone. Regardless of how it's parsed, that statistic is… ummm… not good.
- The Browns have been outscored 52-23 in the first and fourth quarters; in the second and third quarters, they've outscored the opposition 21-16.
- The first three opponents hold a 94:45-85:15 edge on the Browns.
- Head coach Romeo Crennel is the anti-Butch Davis in that he has yet to have a call overturned in two replay challenges. He has also yet to suffer a nervous breakdown/panic attack.
- Crennel and Raiders head coach Art Shell have a combined 64 years of NFL experience.
- Shell holds the NFL record for most consecutive games coached without showing even a hint of life (97 and counting).
- Nine of Braylon Edwards' eleven receptions have resulted in first downs; Kellen Winslow has also netted nine first downs on his 19 catches; six of Charlie Frye's twelve carries have resulted in first downs.