Chud: We're on the Right Track

It was the big worry during mini-camps, and remains the big worry. But, as mini-camp ended Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski feels his squad is heading in the right direction and thinks that Eric Steinbach (pictured) will make a sudden impact...

The Browns head into the respite before the start of training camp the last week of July with a firmer grip of the offense than they had at the start of Organized Team Activities, but with some major questions still unanswered.

Spring practice began May 22 with rookie Brady Quinn throwing three interceptions and Charlie Frye throwing two. Derek Anderson did not throw any.

If improvement is measured in throwing to the right colored jersey, then Anderson, Frye and Quinn are getting better. Still, minicamp concluded with a two-minute drill, and none of the quarterbacks produced a touchdown. Coach Romeo Crennel was so peeved he made the offense run gassers at the end of practice while the defense watched.

"By no means are we where we want to be once the season starts, but we're on the right track," offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski said. "Part of the OTAs and what training camp is for is getting a better feel of what the guys are good at and what they can execute. We're getting a feel for their individual talents and skills and how much they can handle at each position."

The Browns scored 238 points last season. Only the Raiders (168) and Buccaneers (211) scored fewer. The Browns were dead last in scoring in 2005 with 232 points.

The result of dismal years back to back was the hiring of a new offensive coordinator in Chudzinski, the drafting of a rookie quarterback in Quinn, the acquisition of new left guard Eric Steinbach via free agency, the drafting of new left tackle Joe Thomas via the third overall pick in the draft and signing a new running back, Jamal Lewis, in free agency.

Chudzinski's offense is up-tempo, based on pre-snap motion to confuse the defense. Braylon Edwards, for example, might line up split left as the wide receiver on one play, as the flanker on the right side on the next or in the slot on the play after that.

"In the first week, it caused a lot of confusion for our guys but since then, they've been studying and working on everything," Frye said. "Once we get on the same page with the movements we should cause a lot of defenses problems. We won't be coming out like last year in just a static formation."

Chudzinski said 60 percent of his playbook is basic to the offense. The other 40 percent is adaptable specifically for whoever is at quarterback or in the game at other positions at a particular time.

Rookie to watch: Eric Wright -- The second-round cornerback from the UNLV clearly stood out among this year's rookie class. He intercepted a pass on each of the final two days of minicamp. He showed he can dive and catch the ball just before it hits the ground.

Sudden impact: Eric Steinbach -- Left guard appears settled for the first time in 20 years, and that is no exaggeration. Steinbach, entering his fifth year in the NFL and first with the Browns after signing a seven-year deal, replaces Joe Andruzzi. It is impossible to grade offensive linemen until the pads go on, but the Browns are very pleased with Steinbach.

The OBR Top Stories