Browns Shoot Down Ravens, 33-30

Almost losing a heartbreaker in regulation, the Browns get second life and win in overtime. Fred Greetham brings you the blow-by-blow of the Browns thrilling 33-30 win in Baltimore...

The Browns were trying to rebound from a tough loss to the Steelers on the road. They were also trying to win on the road against the Ravens and sweep the series from them.

Mission accomplished.

The Browns led 13-7 at the half and 27-14 later in the game, but let the Ravens score 16 unanswered points. The Browns were not able to take advantage of opportunities presented to them.

For the second-straight week, the Browns gave up a second-half lead. They gave up a 15 point lead and lost to the Steelers a week ago. Against the Ravens, the Browns had a 13-point lead at 27-14 before allowing the Ravens to score 16-straight.

It looked as though the Browns would lose in regulation as former Browns kicker Matt Stover hit a 47-yard field goal with 26 seconds to play to give the Ravens a 30-27 lead.

After Stover's field goal that made it 30-27, Cribbs returned the kickoff 40 yards to the Browns' 43 with just 15 seconds to play. Anderson hit Joe Jurevicius to the 49 with 11 seconds to play. Anderson then hit Braylon Edwards for 18 yards to the Ravens' 34 with three seconds to play.

From there, Phil Dawson hit a 51-yard field goal as time expired to send the game into overtime at 30-30. The kick, which bounced off the left goal posted and landed behind the cross-bar, bouncing back into the field of play, was initially ruled no good. Fortunately for the Browns, officials conferred and called the Ravens out of the locker room after ruling the kick was good, thus sending the game into overtime.

The Browns received the ball to start overtime and Joshua Cribbs returned the ball to the Browns' 40. Derek Anderson hit Kellen Winslow on the first play to the Ravens' 48.

A false start by Kevin Shaffer moved the ball back to the Browns' 47. On third-and-10, Anderson hit Winslow for an 18-yard completion to the Ravens' 30. Jamal Lewis rushed for three yards and then Jason Wright ran to the 20 and a first down. Lewis ran the ball two more times to the 16. Anderson was 24-of-38 for 274 yards with no touchdowns and one interception.

On third down, Romeo Crennel sent in Dawson and he kicked a 33-yard field goal to give the Browns a 33-30 win in overtime.

Lewis had 22 rushes for 92 yards and a touchdown.

The Browns improved to 6-4 and 3-2 in the division.

The Browns took a 3-0 lead after creating their third turnover in the first quarter. Willie McGinest recovered a fumble after Kamerion WImbley sacked Kyle Boller at the Ravens' 23. The Browns were unable to move the ball and Phil Dawson hit a 28-yard field goal to give the Browns a 3-0 lead with 2:34 to play in the first quarter. Dawson had missed a 35-yard attempt after an earlier turnover.

The Browns extended their lead to start the second quarter as Lewis went over from the one. The big play on the drive was a 50-yard pass to Jurevicius as he caught a short pass and was able to break free down the sideline.  Anderson hit Winslow for 19 yards to the one to set up Lewis' score to make it 10-0 with 12:23.

The Browns let the Ravens get back into the game as Anderson threw an interception to Ray Lewis, who returned it 35 yards for the score with 8:47 to play in the second quarter to make it 10-7. Anderson threw the ball behind Jurevicius, who was open, right into the arms of Lewis.

On the ensuing kickoff, Cribbs fumbled the ball and the Ravens' recovered on the Browns' 36. However,  Crennel challenged the call and it was overturned and the Browns started at their own 36. The Browns moved to the red zone but had back-to-back penalties to go back to the 35 at first-and-30.

The Browns were flagged with holding penalties by Shaffer and  Lewis and two false starts on Joe Thomas and Ryan Tucker.

The Browns were able to get back in field goal range and Dawson kicked a 39-yard field goal with 1:41 to play in the first half to make it 13-7. The Browns had the ball for 7:06 and it took 13 plays as they had to overcome five penalties on the drive.

After being unable to move the ball in the first half, the Ravens took the opening kickoff of the second half and marched 75 yards in eight plays to take the lead at 14-13. Willis McGahee took it in from the two with 10:42 to play in the third quarter. After looking inept in the first half, the Ravens looked efficient on the drive as McGahee ran well and Boller converted third down passes to Derrick Mason.

The Browns regained the lead on Anderson's one-yard sneak with 6:01 to play in the third quarter to make the score 20-14. The score was set up as Joshua Cribbs took a punt inside the Ravens' 35 and returned it to the Ravens' 11. Lewis moved the ball to the one and before Anderson snuck in. The field position was set up on the previous series as Dave Zastudil punted inside the Ravens' five and the defense forced a three-and-out and Cribbs took the short punt.

The Browns extended their lead to 27-14 with 3:42 to play in the third quarter as Brodney Pool intercepted a pass at the goal line and returned it 100 yards for a touchdown. The Ravens were moving and were in the red zone, but Sean Jones blitzed and hit Boller as he was releasing the ball and Pool returned his first career touchdown.

The Ravens moved to the Browns' 14 after a sack by Leon Williams resulted in a grabbing the face mask and the Ravens had a first down. However, a sack by Robaire Smith forced the Ravens to settle for a 34-yard field goal by Matt Stover to make it 27-17 with 12:13 to play.

The Browns had a 50-yard kickoff return by Cribbs but were unable to do anything. They lined up for a 49-yard field goal attempt, but a high snap forced Zastudil to try to run the ball to no avail.

After the Browns couldn't convert on the field goal, the Ravens cut the lead to 27-20 with 7:20 to play as Stover converted on a 41-yard attempt.

The Browns continually struggled in the second half and had to punt it back to the Ravens. Boller immediately moved the ball through the air down the sideline with passes to Darling and McGahee took the ball to the Browns' 30. He then hit Devard Darling with a 27-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 27-27 with 3:31 to play. Darling got behind Leigh Bodden and Boller hit him in stride in the end zone.

With the game tied at 27, the Browns started at their 23. They started to move, but an intentional grounding call on Anderson put the Browns in a third-and-16 situation and he was sacked.

The OBR Top Stories