Here's the latest that we've been told. It's an exciting time for the organization and its fans, and the wheels continue to turn...
- The Browns do have an interest in recently released WR Eric Parker, but it is not necessarily something that will be pushed in the short-term. The organization is in no hurry to rush to judgment regarding some of the youth in camp and will most likely wait on making any type of move at the position. Another non-trivial factor is that Parker is not fully recovered from the toe injury which sidelined him for part of the 2007 season. Indications are the veteran receiver will be ready to compete within a month.
- Don't be fooled by the lack of public discussion. CB Ty Law remains on the Browns radar. The CB position is one which the organization is looking at closely. There are indications that Law does not really want to go through the entire training camp process and will accept a much more manageable deal with a team sometime toward mid-August.
- CB Andre Dyson is a player of interest, but is not the top priority at the position.
- The knee injury sustained by CB Daven Holly in OTA sessions was severe, as we've reported before, and it was to the tune of three ligaments/tendons damaged..
- A factor in any trade scenario is that the Browns remain in a position where they would rather trade player-for-player than make any future sacrifices of draft picks. Dealing a future draft selection has not been ruled out, but is not what the organization prefers doing at this time.
- Rookie TE Martin Rucker is going to get a long look this summer, and the possibility of his making an immediate impact is not going to be waved off just because he's a rookie. There is a belief he has the ability to step in and contribute immediately due to his advanced receiving ability.
- Free agent linebacker acquisition Shantee Orr is going to get looks at inside LB roles in training camp. The staff simply likes the energy and production he shows on tape from previous exposure to the 3-4 defense. In camp settings over the past two days, Orr has lined up inside on occasion.
- Further down the depth chart, as the team seeks to solidify the fifth and sixth defensive line positions, 2007 draft selections Chase Pittman and Melila Purcell are going to be pushed undrafted free agent Brian Schaefering.