Rain showers swept into Berea this afternoon, causing the Cleveland Browns organization to moove practice inside, thus canceling it for the fans. The team of 80 players and numerous team personnel and media packed into the indoor field-house for the session.
The late afternoon practice was the second of the day for the team. Per usual, it was a much less physical session.
A scheduled 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. session was cut short, as the team started lightly gathering at approximately 5:45 p.m. and the session ended at 7:15 p.m. During the 90 minutes, the team stretched, worked on individual positional drills and slipped in some light 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills in for good measure.
Recently signed defensive backs Brandon Mitchell (#33) and Travis Key (#38) lined-up with the second and third-team defenses and saw limited action due to the light activities of the session. When not lined-up at safety, Mitchell often stood deep in the defensive backfield with an assistant coach, watching and deciphering strategy.
Plays and Players
- WR Steve Sanders hauled in numerous passes in individual and team drills, but it was the one he dropped that would be most remembered, as he muffed a pass directly in front of some staff members along the sideline. In blocking drills, the WR fared well and has made a favorable impression of late. Sanders received a handful of snaps as the #3 WR today.
- WR Syndric Steptoe may be small in stature, but the wide receiver stands tall on the playing field. Steptoe continues to be solid in drills. Steptoe is fearless, as he is often in the slot and crossing the middle has been standard practice for the second-year receiver.
- QB Brady Quinn, leading the second team offense, was on the run for the most part of his snaps under center. The offensive line had a difficult time containing the starting defense, followed by the second team defense.
- CB's Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald are simply athletic and confident. There is a swagger growing amongst the two second-year corners, which has become infectious within the starting defensive backfield.
- CB A.J. Davis spent some time in the practice session standing deep in the defensive backfield, viewing the action.
The Infirmary Report
- TE Brad Cieslak (undisclosed) was doing some light running and exercises under the direction of a member of the Browns staff.
- FB Lawrence Vickers (hamstring) did not dress for the late afternoon session. Vickers did dress and participated in individual drills in the morning session.
- WR Kevin Kasper (hamstring) remained sidelined for the late afternoon session.
- WR Braylon Edwards (cut foot) was not at the practice session.
- OG Seth McKinney (ankle) did not participate in drills.