Today I got up and had the opportunity to play some poker with friends and listen to the game on the radio or go by myself to a bar and watch the game (the game wasn't being shown locally for me---I had an option of watching the Steelers/Giants as my only 4p game-------NO thanks).
So, did I opt for poker/radio or bar/TV?
If you guessed poker/radio, you were right on!
I'm getting to the point where I'm starting not to care about the 2008 edition of the Browns. There used to be a time when I looked forward to seeing the game. I would drive in any weather to my favorite sports bar and get there an hour early to make sure that I had the best seat possible for viewing the game.
How much can a fan take? I won't bore you with the whole history since the return. I think you know it very well yourself.
Let's forget about everything before this season, as ugly as it all was.
Just focus on 2008.
What have we seen?
* The promise of a new season flushed early.
* Plenty of spin from Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage.
* Selfish millionaires putting their own feelings/goals ahead of the team. Especially from a certain first round WR and a first round TE.
* Weeks where they look great. Weeks where they look like crap. The only consistency is wild inconsistency.
* No semblance of a run stopping defense for much of the season.
Oh, they won today. Can you truly be excited about this? I can't. Elite teams ready to take the next step put the game away when they have the ball that deep in the opposition's territory, not once, but TWICE late in the 4th quarter.
Should the Jacksonville game have been that close? No way.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a fan and I am looking forward to a time where I can be excited again.
It's just going to take a lot more than a 3-4 record for me to want to give up a poker game these days when its just as easy to experience inconsistency on the radio as well as watch it on TV.
I have a feeling I'll be playing a lot of poker when the Browns aren't on TV but hopefully not.