A Cincinnati Post report from last week suggested the Buccaneers were negotiating a trade with the Bengals that would send Sapp to Cincinnati in exchange for the No. 1 overall selection in the NFL Draft.
The report said the Bucs were trying to trade Sapp, 30, because both he and DT Anthony McFarland are entering the last year of their contracts and due to the fact that No. 99 has a $6.6 million cap value in 2003.
This is the third straight year Sapp has been the subject of trade rumors, and those rumors have been shot down each time. On Wednesday, Bucs general manager Rich McKay took the opportunity to put the Post's "rumor" to rest.
"I would never comment on any potential trade, but the answer to that question is no," McKay said when asked if the Bengals and Bucs had discussed the possibility of a trade involving Sapp.
"I can honestly say that I think that (report) was made up. I think a guy made that up. How could he go to (Bengals head coach) Marvin Lewis who said that was completely a lie, never contacts us, and then writes it? That's just made up. That's just one of those rumors where a guy gets somebody to be his source and tells them to tell him this. That's not misinformation. That's Rumorville, USA."
McKay wasn't the only one to shoot down the Post's report. Bucs director of college scouting Ruston Webster added his two cents worth.
"I just laugh," Webster said when asked about the Sapp trade rumors. "I want a No. 1 pick. I'd just like to have it in a different way."