Buccaneers Pro Day Rumblings: March 31

In this edition of "Pro Day Rumblings" Bucsblitz.com breaks down the word on two of the top players in this draft, LSU's Glenn Dorsey and Early Doucet, along with some under-the-radar players that could make a splash late in the draft or even afterward. Also, find out who's talking to Arkansas RB Felix Jones.

In case you believe that LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey's injury issues could cause him to slide into the back end of the NFL Draft's first round, think again. Don't take my word for it. Our Scout.com NFL personnel guru, Tom Marino, had this to say about Dorsey after his pro day last week:

"Measuring 6-foot-1, 3/4 inches and weighing in at 297 pounds, Dorsey looked extremely good physically and appeared to be at least 8 to 10 pounds lighter than his 2007 playing weight. Although his vertical jump of 25 1/2 inches and long jump best of 8-foot-4 were unremarkable, he was extremely explosive in his hands and hips, converts speed to power and worked out exactly like he played the past three seasons — all out, all of the time.

Former Bengals DT and current Chiefs defensive line coach Tim Krumrie was the first coach to work Dorsey individually and had to be impressed with the way he competed in the grueling hand slap drill, a five to six minute drill which has over the years reduced many highly-rated defensive linemen to tears.

Draft prognosticators everywhere, listen up. Glenn Dorsey, if he is not selected by the Dolphins with the first selection, is a slam-dunk second-selection in the draft. My former employer, the Rams, have to be salivating today with the thought of lining up the next 10 to 12 seasons with Dorsey at either a nose or at a three-technique."

Meanwhile, Marino compared LSU receiver Early Doucet to a current NFL player some Bucs fans would love the team to acquire:

"With 40 times of 4.57, 4.60, and 4.66, Early Doucet is certainly not going to run away from too many defenders at the professional level, but I truly believe he is going to be an outstanding football player at the next level. I can't tell you how much he reminds me of Arizona Cardinal standout Anquan Boldin in stature, speed and skills."

Doucet will likely be available in the second round.

HOG WILD: Scouts in attendance at Arkansas's Pro Day last week had plenty of questions for running back Felix Jones, a player some consider to have a higher NFL ceiling than teammate and certain first-round pick Darren McFadden. Jones said several teams have asked about his ability to be a No. 1 tailback.

"They just want to know if I'm an every-down back. It's pretty good when they ask me that because I didn't have a chance to show everybody at Arkansas," Jones said. "But once I get to a team and get a chance to show them, the team will really be happy."

Jones said he has talked with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, along with the Dallas Cowboys, the latter of which is rumored to be very interested in Jones.

Fullback Peyton Hillis didn't have anything positive to say about his workout, according to Hawgsillustrated.com.

Hillis, who could be a mid-round selection, said it was "a bad day for me, a bad day and a bad day to have it."

His times were not released, but some scouts say Hillis didn't hurt his stock that much.

The Bucs could be interested in a young fullback to groom behind B.J. Askew.

Also, ESPN.com's Chris Mortensen complimented wide receiver Marcus Monk on a pro day performance that he felt helped the receiver's draft stock. Monk had two knee surgeries last year.

WATCH CUTTS AFTER THE DRAFT: The Leader-Times in Kittanning, Penn., filed a report from Central Michigan strong safety Curtis Cutts, who missed part of last season due to injury.

The Leader-Times quoted his agent, Joe Linta, as saying that Cutts has a "10 percent chance of being drafted and a 90 percent chance of being signed as an undrafted free agent."

Cutts appears to be healthy now. At his pro day on March 10, Cutts (5-foot-11, 216-pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6, recorded a vertical jump of 36 inches and a broad jump of 10.5 feet.

The Leader-Times also talked to Bobby Alfaro, a former Buccaneers scout who now scouts for JL Sports. Alfaro had this to say about Tampa Bay's interest in Cutts:

"The teams that have shown the most interest in him are the Browns, Steelers and Bengals," Alfaro said. "Tampa Bay showed a little bit of interest. I talked to a scout from Tampa Bay, and he thought (Cutts) had a good pro day."

Some scouts actually project Cutts as a weak side linebacker in a Cover 2. He would need to add at least 10 pounds.

WORKING WITH DON: Former Holy Cross cornerback Casey Gough is likely another undrafted free agent signing for a NFL team this April. It could be the Bucs. Two years ago they tried out another Holy Cross player, running back Steve Silva.

It's still going to be an uphill climb for Gough, but he has a former NFL player on his side. The Telegram in Worcester, Mass., reported that Gough worked with former NFL wide receiver Don Beebe for about two months to train for his Pro Day.

Gough worked out at Boston College's Pro Day, along with Massachusetts'.

Matthew Postins covers the Buccaneers for BucsBlitz.com and the Charlotte Sun-Herald in Port Charlotte, Fla. An award-winning member of the Pro Football Writers Association, he appears frequently on Scot Brantley Show from 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WHBO 1470-AM in Tampa-Clearwater.

Bucs Blitz Top Stories