Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim and head coach Bruce Arians have insisted their 2016 team has more talent than any of the previous teams the pair has worked with together.
On Saturday, the Cardinals decided on what talent they'll take into the regular season as Arizona finalized its 53-man roster. CardinalsSource will have in-depth evaluations of each position group throughout the week leading up to Arizona's season opener against New England next Sunday.
- For the first time in the Arians era, the Cardinals elected to keep just two quarterbacks, as third-team signal-caller Matt Barkley was among the players Arizona elected to part ways with.
- After strong showings in each of the last two preseason contests, undrafted rookie Lamar Louis earned a roster spot as a special teams player. Louis did his best work on kickoff coverage and put his name in the conversation for a roster spot with four special teams tackles against Houston.
- The Cardinals decided to keep nine defensive linemen, including a surprise choice in third-string defensive tackle Olsen Pierre. Pierre played well during the preseason, but teams rarely hang onto more than seven or eight defensive linemen at a time.
- Arizona cut veteran defensive lineman Red Bryant, who the team signed around Thanksgiving last year to provide additional depth. Bryant worked with the second and third team defensive lines during fall camp.
- The Cardinals kept just five receivers, cutting veteran Brittan Golden as well as camp standouts Jaxon Shipley and Chris Hubert.
- Despite using 12-personnel so frequently, Arizona will move forward with just three tight ends on its active roster. Both Ifeanyi Momah and undrafted rookie free agent Hakeem Valles were among the players cut Saturday.
- 2015 fifth round draft choice Shaquille Riddick was cut as the Cardinals decided to keep just four outside linebackers. Arizona has traditionally kept five outside linebackers on the 53-man roster under Arians.
- 2016 sixth round draft choice Harlan Miller was among the team's cuts Saturday as Miller was the only draft pick from this year the Cardinals parted ways with.
- Arizona decided to keep nine offensive linemen on the 53-man roster, giving reserve offensive tackle John Wetzel a roster spot ahead of reserve guard Antoine McClain and fellow tackle Robert Crisp, who were both cut Saturday.
|Carson Palmer||Drew Stanton|
|David Johnson||Chris Johnson|
|Andre Ellington||Stepfan Taylor|
|Larry Fitzgerald||Michael Floyd||John Brown|
|J.J. Nelson||Jaron Brown|
|Jermaine Gresham||Darren Fells|
|Jared Veldheer||Mike Iupati||A.Q. Shipley||Evan Mathis||D.J. Humphries|
|John Wetzel||Earl Watford||Evan Boehm||Cole Toner|
|Rodney Gunter||Corey Peters||Calais Campbell||Frostee Rucker|
|Ed Stinson||Xavier Williams||Josh Mauro||Robert Nkemdiche|
|Chandler Jones||Markus Golden|
|Alex Okafor||Kareem Martin|
|Kevin Minter||Deone Bucannon|
|Alani Fua||Gabe Martin|
|Patrick Peterson||Brandon Williams|
|Justin Bethel||Marcus Cooper|
|Tyrann Mathieu||Tyvon Branch|
|Tony Jefferson||D.J. Swearinger|
|Chandler Catanzaro||Drew Butler||Kameron Canaday|