PJ Mays ran for 1,284 yards as a senior at Youngstown State scoring eleven times rushing and contributing 11 receptions for 192 yards and two touchdowns in the passing game. All this on a sprained knee that limited his action midway through his senior campaign.
A Walter Payton Award finalist he ended his career with 3,374 yards and 41 touchdowns, a conference record.
His accolades include:
• 2001 Gateway Conference Offensive Player of the Year
• 2001 First-Team All-Gateway Conference
• 2001-02 YSU SAAC Leadership Award Winner
• 2001 Football Gazette Honorable-Mention All-American
• 2001 Three-Time Gateway Offensive Player of the Week
• 2000 Gateway All-Newcomer Team
• 1999 Conference USA All-Freshman Team
Other Feats of Note
* School Record Four 200-Yard Plus Games in Career
* Had 200-Yard Games Against Lock Haven (226), SMS (218), Marshall (201) and Southern Illinois (210)
* Has 14 Multi-Touchdown Games in Career
* Has 13 Career 100-Plus Yards Games
* His 3,374 career yards rushing ranks fourth in YSU History
* His 3,339 regular-season rushing yards ranks second in YSU History
* His 3,339 regular-season rushing yards ranks seventh in Gateway History
* His 3,339 regular-season rushing yards ranks first in Gateway History among players who played just three seasons
* Has scored 258 points in his Youngstown State career
* Played in 33 games, starting 26 for the Penguins
* Been Named Conference Player of the Week Five Times
* Averaging 102 Yards Rushing Per Game
* Averaging 5.3 Yards Per Attempt
* 2002 • Gateway Offensive Player of the Week (Nov. 2)
* 2002 • Gateway Offensive Player of the Week (Nov. 9)
* 2002 • 1,000 Yards Rushing for Second Straight Season
* 2002 • Scored Touchdowns In Eight of 10 Games
* 2001 • Gateway Conference Offensive Player of the Year
* 2001 • First-Team All-Gateway Football Conference
* 2001 • Honorable-Mention All-American
* 2001 • Named Team's Outstanding Offensive Player
* 2001 • 1,446 Yards Rushing Regular-Season School Record
* 2001 • Third in the Nation with 21 Rushing Touchdowns
* 2001 • Fifth in Nation in Scoring Per Game
* 2001 • 12th in Nation in Rushing Yards Per Game
* 2001 • School-record Rushing Average 131.5 Yards Per Game
* 2001 • School Record Three 200-Yard Plus Games in Season
* 2001 • 132 Points Scored Second-Most in School History
* 2001 • 21 Rushing TDs Tied for Second-Most in YSU History
* 2001 • 22 Total TDs Scored Second-Most in School History
* 2000 • All-Gateway Newcomer Team as a Sophomore
Who is Mays?
BoltsReport Top Stories
Rams add depth in 6th round of 2017 NFL DraftLos Angeles brings aboard more help in the backfield and defensive line.
LA Rams Report6:27 PM
Chargers Take Rochell In 7thNotre Dame’s most versatile defensive lineman the last three seasons, Rochell recorded 27 tackles for loss at end, three-technique and nose tackle.
Round 6: Broncos Take RB De'Angelo HendersonThe Broncos drafted one of the Draft's sleeper running backs in Coastal Carolina's DeAngelo Henderson.
Mile High Huddle1:42 PM
Round 5: Broncos Select WR Isaiah McKenzieThe Broncos add another player that can compete for the kick-returning job in WR Isaiah McKenzie out of Georgia.
Mile High Huddle11:36 AM
Broncos Trade RB Kapri Bibbs to 49ersKapri Bibbs and a fifth-rounder head to San Francisco in exchange for a 2018 fourth-round pick.
Mile High Huddle9:26 AM