PJ Mays ran for 1,284 yards as a senior at Youngstown State scoring eleven times rushing and contributing 11 receptions for 192 yards and two touchdowns in the passing game. All this on a sprained knee that limited his action midway through his senior campaign.
A Walter Payton Award finalist he ended his career with 3,374 yards and 41 touchdowns, a conference record.
His accolades include:
• 2001 Gateway Conference Offensive Player of the Year
• 2001 First-Team All-Gateway Conference
• 2001-02 YSU SAAC Leadership Award Winner
• 2001 Football Gazette Honorable-Mention All-American
• 2001 Three-Time Gateway Offensive Player of the Week
• 2000 Gateway All-Newcomer Team
• 1999 Conference USA All-Freshman Team
Other Feats of Note
* School Record Four 200-Yard Plus Games in Career
* Had 200-Yard Games Against Lock Haven (226), SMS (218), Marshall (201) and Southern Illinois (210)
* Has 14 Multi-Touchdown Games in Career
* Has 13 Career 100-Plus Yards Games
* His 3,374 career yards rushing ranks fourth in YSU History
* His 3,339 regular-season rushing yards ranks second in YSU History
* His 3,339 regular-season rushing yards ranks seventh in Gateway History
* His 3,339 regular-season rushing yards ranks first in Gateway History among players who played just three seasons
* Has scored 258 points in his Youngstown State career
* Played in 33 games, starting 26 for the Penguins
* Been Named Conference Player of the Week Five Times
* Averaging 102 Yards Rushing Per Game
* Averaging 5.3 Yards Per Attempt
* 2002 • Gateway Offensive Player of the Week (Nov. 2)
* 2002 • Gateway Offensive Player of the Week (Nov. 9)
* 2002 • 1,000 Yards Rushing for Second Straight Season
* 2002 • Scored Touchdowns In Eight of 10 Games
* 2001 • Gateway Conference Offensive Player of the Year
* 2001 • First-Team All-Gateway Football Conference
* 2001 • Honorable-Mention All-American
* 2001 • Named Team's Outstanding Offensive Player
* 2001 • 1,446 Yards Rushing Regular-Season School Record
* 2001 • Third in the Nation with 21 Rushing Touchdowns
* 2001 • Fifth in Nation in Scoring Per Game
* 2001 • 12th in Nation in Rushing Yards Per Game
* 2001 • School-record Rushing Average 131.5 Yards Per Game
* 2001 • School Record Three 200-Yard Plus Games in Season
* 2001 • 132 Points Scored Second-Most in School History
* 2001 • 21 Rushing TDs Tied for Second-Most in YSU History
* 2001 • 22 Total TDs Scored Second-Most in School History
* 2000 • All-Gateway Newcomer Team as a Sophomore
Who is Mays?
BoltsReport Top Stories
Dynasty RB RankingsHeath Cummings looks at the crowded backfields created by the NFL Draft and reveals his updated Dynasty running back rankings.
LISTEN: Which AFC West Teams Improved?Carl Dumler and Nick Kendell share some immediate thoughts on the Denver Broncos draft haul, before going around the AFC West to see how the competition shaped up. Which Divisional…
Mile High Huddle05/05/2017
How Far Did Denver's Dollars Stretch At QB?The Broncos got a lot of production out of their low-paid quarterbacks in 2016, but were they as efficient as their AFC West rivals?
Mile High Huddle10:21 AM
State of the Broncos: Running BacksMile High Huddle brings you State of the 2017 Broncos — a position by position evaluation of the roster. Today's edition focuses on running backs. Publisher Chad Jensen examines.
Mile High HuddleYesterday at 10:25 AM
Grading The AFC West's 2017 Draft ClassesSenior Draft Analyst Erick Trickel examines the draft classes and undrafted free agent classes of Denver's Divisional rivals. Which AFC West teams came out on top?
Mile High Huddle05/03/2017