Top ten Chargers of 2004
1. Quarterback- Although I agree that Philip Rivers was the right selection for the team in the draft- I feel that Drew Brees should be allowed every opportunity to start this year and based on the latest that seems a given. The last two years he has worked behind a very make shift line which included starting three rookies due to countless injuries. And while the O-line was having its injury problem the Wide Receiver position had its fare share as well. Drew gives the Bolts the best chance to win this season and I feel Marty owes the fans and veteran players this opportunity.
2. Wide Receiver- Tim Dwight signed a huge contract a couple of years ago and all he's done is find himself on the injured list. Eric Parker has been solid and consistent but also ran into that injury bug last season with a shoulder injury. This brings me to our big offseason acquisition Kevin Dyson. Has he ever been healthy? I don't know if he ever finished a season beside his rookie campaign. This unit has to be consistent and find a way to get open to give Brees someone to throw to besides LT (100 rec).
3. Quentin Jammer- The #5 selection in the 2002 draft has to become the shutdown corner that management envisioned when drafting him. If we can find a way to get pressure on the quarterback I think this could be a breakout year for Jammer.
4. Jamal Williams- Has to stay healthy this year! Is our strongest and most experienced DT on the squad. With the move to a 3-4 this puts added pressure on Williams anchoring the line. When healthy Williams can be a Pro-Bowl type DT.
5. Randall Godfrey- Our big pickup on defense this past offseason has to become the run-stuffing LB he was in Dallas. With the addition of Godfrey this should give Donnie Edwards more room to make "Big" plays like he did when Seau was his counterpart.
6. Offensive Line- With Schottenheimer's love of the running game, it has to be a strength of the team. With Jason Balls holdout looming and Toniu Fonoti trying to find himself in a Weight Watcher program this position is in need of another face-lift. The free agent pickup Goff should be an upgrade from last year.
7. Kicker- It is very sad that I would have included this position in my top ten. Boy do I miss John Carney. I don't know how many times I watched us punt the ball when we had it inside the opponents 35? If the kid Kaeding is half worthy of a 3rd round pick then we should be in good shape.
8. Play Calling (coaching) - Now I know that we have one of the most electrifying backs in football-BUT so does our opponents. Until we decide to spread the ball around we will never scare opposing defenses. A good example is the Super Bowl Champs; the Patriots don't have many marquee skill players on offense but that is what makes them so hard to defend. You don't know who is getting the ball. Marty...you have 11 players on offense. Use them.
9. Schedule- Looking at our schedule we have two very winnable games. They just happen to be the first two games of the season against Houston and home vs the NY Jets. If we don't find a way to win Both games and gain some very very needed confidence then Imp afraid the 2004 season will be very similar to the 2003 season.
10. Fan Support! - You look at any successful team and you always see people in the stands. With a fast start and an infusion of talented young players this team could finally end that playoff drought and give the many Charger fans around the United States something to cheer about.