Texans Defeat KC 24-21 Fall to 0-3

Kansas City Chiefs fans have to wonder if their team is jinxed. The Kansas City Chiefs are simply not a good football team and any talk about playoffs or division championships are forever grounded as the Texans waltz into Arrowhead with a last second win 24-21.

Since 1990 only three teams have made the post-season after starting 0-3 and its not likely that the Kansas City Chiefs are the type of football team that can win one game yet alone three in a row to get all square. But give the Texans credit as they made the plays in the fourth quarter that they needed to make and the Chiefs didn't on both sides of the ball.

The game started out well the most part they played a great game as Trent Green threw three touchdown passes and Priest Holmes ran for 134 yards becoming the Chiefs all-time leading rusher did his best to keep the Chiefs in the game.

Despite a plethora of penalties that were both caused by poor concentration by the Chiefs and terrible officiating, they never allowed the players on both sides of the ball to get a feel for the game. Not making real excuses but it was the worst officiating I've ever seen in an NFL game.

Still the Chiefs defense which was much-maligned the past two games were able to bottle up the Texans running back duo of Domanick Davis and Jonathan Wells. Texans quarterback David Carr had trouble completing passes but on the first drive of the game, he found Chiefs cornerback Eric Warfield in the end zone for a touchback.

That seemed to get the Chiefs offense some early momentum as Priest Holmes controlled most of the first drive of the game as he ran the ball effectively. Trent Green hoping for a bounce back game, found tight end Tony Gonzalez on a picture-perfect 14-yard scoring strike giving the Chiefs a 7-0 lead.

Granted the defense had their share of penalties but the offense made some bad plays that contributed to a series of blunders that the Chiefs had to feel fortunate they were even in the game. In fact the penalties in the first half were silly and lacked concentration and focus.

As the Chiefs offense struggled beyond the first drive, the Texans managed to score two field goals in the second quarter kicker. Kris Brown nailed two field goals one from 28 yards and the second from 49-yards with no time remaining in the first half giving the Chiefs a slim 7-6 halftime lead.

The second half was much better for the Chiefs as Dante Hall returned the opening kick-off to the Texans 48-yard line. The Kansas City offense went back to work playing smash mouth football. Trent Green engineered a short field by hooking up with Chris Horn for his first career touchdown from six yards out. That gave the Chiefs a 14-6 lead and all things looked good at Arrowhead.

But after the defense held their ground shutting down the Texans offense, the Chiefs engineered a long drive that culminated with a 1st and goal with 3:51 left in the third quarter. After Priest Holmes was stopped for a one-yard loss, Trent Green threw an errant pass that was nowhere near his intended target Tony Gonzalez. Instead it fell into the hands of Marcus Coleman who ran the ball back 102 yards bringing the Texans back from the dead.

The Texans converted a 2-point conversion and tied the score at 14-14. Still the Chiefs offense seemed to found their way again. Green finally settled down and led the Chiefs on a 8-play 54 yard drive that culminated with a 5-yard scoring strike to tight end Jason Dunn giving Kansas City a 21-14 lead with 10:55 left in the game.

But that was it for the Chiefs as they allowed David Carr to get momentum and complete some passes. The defense played great most of the game on first and second down but time and again on critical drives, they backed off receiver and put no pressure on the defense. The Texans converted a third and seventeen that kept the drive alive and Carr then found second year wide receiver Jabar Gaffney for a 9-yard pass that tied the score at 21-21.

After the offense failed to get into scoring position, the Chiefs punted the ball back to Houston and everyone at Arrowhead had a strong feeling the ending would not be in the favor of the home team. And they were right. Carr with little pressure on him in the final drive completed five passes the last to Derick Armstrong for 21 yards. That put the Texans in field goal range and with .02 seconds left; Kris Brown nailed his second 49-yard field goal that breezed through the uprights and the Chiefs fell to 0-3.

After the game, Chiefs head coach referred to the fact that this organization has put themselves in a huge hole that every member of the organization can be in together.

Now the Chiefs face an uphill battle with 13 games left to play and if they don't win at least 11 of those 13 they'll have little to no chance to make the playoffs. Next week the Chiefs play a Monday Night game in Baltimore against the Ravens who are 2-1 on the season after drubbing the Cincinnati Bengals 23-9.

WarpaintIllustrated.com Top Stories