Chiefs Stop Ravens 27-24 for First Victory

In the NFL its best to keep a sleeping giant down but despite a stellar offensive performance by the Chiefs, the Baltimore Ravens were very opportunistic but in the end the Chiefs defense made the plays and Kansas City wins their first game of the season 27-24.

The Kansas City Chiefs entered this game desperate to win a game as their season was in the balance. But it was obvious this team was focused and they came out smoking on offense. Priest Holmes led the way with two touchdowns and 125 yards on a career high 33 carries. But this game was won at the line of scrimmage as the Chiefs dominated time of possession with nearly forty minutes to the Ravens twenty minutes of offense.

The Ravens were first to strike as kicker Matt Stover narrowly made a 50-yard field goal giving Baltimore a 3-0 lead. But the Chiefs came roaring back with a 10-play , 60-yard drive that culminated with a 3-yard pass to back-up tight end Jason Dunn. That gave the Chiefs a 7-3 lead and for the first time this season, the offense looked invincible.

But the early stars of the game were the Chiefs defense that shut down running back Jamal Lewis. After a three and out, Kansas City got the ball back and held the ball for nearly six minutes but were unable to find the end zone. They had to settle for a 42-yard field goal that gave the Chiefs a 10-3 lead.

The Ravens desperate to do something on offense so they executed a perfect flea-flicker that totally suckered the Chiefs defense as Kyle Boller took the lateral from Jamal Lewis who took the hand-off and threw a perfect 57-yard strike to Randy Hymes that tied the score at 10-10. On the play both safeties bit on the run and Hymes ran free down the middle of the field untouched into the end zone.

Still the Chiefs offense would not quit. They took the throat out of the Ravens defense by holding onto the ball for 8:08. The end result was Holmes first touchdown of the game from the 4-yard line giving Kansas City a 17-10 lead. After the Chiefs defense held the Ravens once again. The offense pinned inside the 10-yard line with a little more than two minutes left to play got conservative on offense and it cost them possession.

That would prove costly as punter Jason Baker lifted a short and dying duck that fell into the hands Ravens return man B.J. Sams who with an open field in front of him ran untouched 58-yards to tie the score at 17-17.

In the second half the Chiefs offense got back into the same groove that they had in the opening two quarters. Kansas City moved down the field once again controlling the clock. This time they held the ball for 8:19 but had to settle for a 38-yard Lawrence Tynes field goal that gave the Chiefs a 20-17 lead.

The Kansas City defense despite losing two starters to injuries linebacker Scott Fujita and defensive tackle Ryan Sims held the Ravens to another three and out. This time Kansas City tired of two straight field goals finally punched the ball into the end zone for a 27-17 lead. Priest Holmes scored his second touchdown of the game at the beginning of the fourth quarter. On the drive the offense dominated the line of scrimmage and nearly six minutes off the clock.

But as has been their history the defense finally laid back and allowed the Ravens to get back in the game. After a nifty run by Jamal Lewis that got the ball down to the Chiefs 9-yard line, the defense stiffened. But on a third down play, Boller retreated in the pocket and threw an air-ball out of the end zone but the referees threw a pass-interception penalty on Dexter McCleon. Despite the fact the ball could not be caught the play stood and the Ravens had the ball on the 1-yard line.

On the next play the Ravens turned the ball over as Eric Warfield intercepted the ball in the end zone but again the Chiefs were called with a penalty. Warfield was correctly called for holding in the end zone. On the next play Jamal Lewis, who only had 73-yards rushing, hung the ball over the goal line and the Chiefs only 27-24.

The game as it should be was won by the defense. After being much-maligned the last two weeks, they forced the Ravens to give up the ball on downs with 1:29 left in the game. Safety Greg Wesley tackled Ravens wide receiver Kevin Johnson at the other end of all-out blitz.

The Chiefs had nearly 40 minutes time of possession and Trent Green nailed 21 of 31 passes and the victory moved Kansas City's 2004 record to 1-3. Entering their bye week Kansas City can work on getting healthy and focused for a run at the division. Top Stories