Chiefs Avenge Playoff Loss Defeat Indy 45-35

In one of the most entertaining games of the season, the Kansas City Chiefs backed up last weeks dominating performance against the Falcons by out-scoring the Indianapolis Colts 45-35 in a game when both offenses tacked up over 1100 yards of total offense.

The Chiefs entered Sunday's game knowing that they had to out-score the Indianapolis Colts to win. Kansas City knew that they had a distinct advantage when they had the ball and outside of their struggles in the third quarter, they made the plays when they had to and the clock finally stopped the Indy offense.

The Chiefs received an early break in the game as Indianapolis Colts took possession of the ball. On three straight plays the Kansas City defense held them from getting their initial first down. Much was made of last years playoff game where the Colts never punted. They were out to prove they didn't have to this game as well. After a false start, Indy punter Hunter Smith tried to run for a first down but his attempt was thwarted by cornerback Eric Warfield who dropped him for no gain.

The Chiefs took over at the Colts 42-yard line and ran the ball down the throat of the Colts defense. But Superman showed that he was human last week fumbling the ball twice; did it again inside the five-yard line. The Colts took over and made the Chiefs pay.

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning drove the team down the field converting on a couple of big plays; one by his own player and the other thanks to a terrible pass interference penalty on Warfield. That gave the Colts first and ten from the 48-yard yard line and Manning hit Marvin Harrison on a picture perfect 52-yard scoring strike giving them a 7-0 lead.

But the Chiefs offense went back to work as Trent Green went to work on the Colts secondary. This time Kansas City didn't make any mistakes as Green found tight end Tony Gonzalez on a 21-yard scoring strike that tied the score 7-7.

The Chiefs regained some momentum as the defense held the Colts again and Dante Hall returned Smith's first punt all the way down to the 12-yard line. After two running plays, Green found wide receiver Johnnie Morton for a 7-yard touchdown pass that gave the Chiefs a 14-7 lead.

The defense held the Colts again and the Kansas City offense cranked it up. This time Priest Holmes led the way as the Chiefs converted on a five play 83-yard drive that culminated with a 21-yard touchdown run that seemed to give the Chiefs an insurmountable lead at 21-7. But the Colts drove 70-yards on five play drive that ended when Marcus Pollard snagged a pass from Manning that made the score 21-14.

The Chiefs offense went right back to work as Priest Holmes caught a 51-yard screen pass that put the Chiefs inside the Colts 12-yard line. He did the rest scoring his second touchdown of the game and Kansas City led 28-14.

The half ended when Chiefs rookie kicker Lawrence Tynes nailed a 32-yard field goal. That gave the home team a 31-14 lead at halftime.

In the second half the Chiefs offense came out flat and turned the ball over on downs. Pinned at the eight yard line after a perfect punt by Steve Cheeks, Manning led the Colts on a three play drive that ended when he hit Harrison for his second touchdown of the day. The Chiefs lead had shrunk to 31-21.

After the Chiefs failed to convert on a 29-yard field goal; the Colts ate up the Chiefs defense. Manning drove his team 76-yards on three plays and this time he hit Reggie Wayne all alone for a 41-yard touchdown that made the score 31-28.

The roars that filtered though Arrowhead in the first half were dead silent as all of a sudden the Colts behind those two quick third quarter touchdowns; showed their true character by coming back in the second half with the arm of Peyton Manning who did everything he could to win the game.

But now it was up to the offense to make a stand. This time the Chiefs converted on a long drive of their own. Green was masterful as the Chiefs held the ball for 6:16. Using the pass and the run, Kansas City got inside the Colts 1-yard line. After two failed attempts, Priest Holmes ran to the short side of the field and scored his third touchdown of the game giving the Chiefs a 38-28 lead.

After a short kick-off return that resulted in the ball at the Chiefs 44-yard line, the defense held. They nearly had a miraculous interception by linebacker Kawika Mitchell that was initially ruled an interception was over-turned after the Colts challenged the call. It was reversed as Mitchell was unable to hold onto the ball when his body fell to the stadium turf. Still the defense held and the offense went back to work.

But they fizzled after five plays as they gave the ball back to the Colts. That resulted in Manning's fifth touchdown pass of the game and his third of the second half. This time he found Reggie Wayne on a 6yard touchdown pass that made the score 38-35 and the Chiefs offense had to hold serve if they wanted to win this game.

And they did just that as the offense was not about to put this game on the defense who played valiantly considering they gave nearly 600 yards of offense and let Manning strike for five touchdowns. But Trent Green was up to the challenge as he converted a key third down play when he found Gonzalez in the end zone from 14 yards that gave Kansas City a 45-35 lead.

The Chiefs defense finally made the stand! The Colts were driving once again but this time Manning forced a ball that was picked off by safety Greg Wesley. That sealed the game and the Chiefs improved to 3-4 and are back in the hunt for the playoffs. Top Stories