Chiefs Fall to Vikings 27-16

In 2003 the Kansas City was embarrassed by the Minnesota Vikings in a regular season game. On Friday night in a meaningless preseason game the Chiefs first team offense failed to score a touchdown and the defense gave up twenty first half points. Granted not all the keys to the engine were on the field to start the game but nonetheless the Chiefs failed to show a spark until very late in the game.

As a fan you'd have to characterize the Kansas City Chiefs performance against Minnesota as one of disappointment. After an offseason littered with defensive acquisitions, the group struggled to find a cohesive bond that allowed them to make enough plays to stop Vikings quarterbacks Daunte Culpepper and Brad Johnson.

In the first quarter Culpepper hit wide receiver Nate Burleson for a 33-yard field touchdown. On the play, Burleson split the safeties as Sammy Knight could not catch up with the speedy wide receiver. That gave the Vikings a 7-0 lead.

Later in the first quarter kicker Lawrence Tynes connected on a 19-yard field goal making the score 7-3. That would be the closest the Chiefs would get the rest of the game. The drive fizzled inside the Vikings seven yard line and the team had to settle for a chip shot field goal. The play was significant as punter Dustin Colquitt converted his first attempt at holding for Tynes and did it flawlessly.

In the second quarter Brad Johnson came off the bench for the Vikings and marched the ball down the field as the drive ended on a 7-yard touchdown pass to running back Mewelde Moore. On the play he beat safety Greg Wesley as the new safety tandem didn't have their best opening night. The Vikings added a pair of field goals by Aaron Elling from 40-yards our and another by Paul Edinger from 48-yards out giving Minnesota a 20-3 half time lead.

In the third quarter Lawrence Tynes made a pair of field goals after missing his attempt in the second quarter. The first was from 29-yards out but the second was drilled from 51-yards making the score 20-9 in favor of the Vikings. But on the ensuing kick-off Tynes kicked the ball out of bounds much to the chagrin of his head coach Dick Vermeil.

But after an interception from back-up quarterback Damon Huard, the Vikings marched down the field in the fourth quarter putting the game out of reach. They held the ball for eight minutes and ended the 15 play drive when running back Ciatrick Fason punched the ball over from the 1-yard line. That pushed the lead to 27-9.

The bright spot of the quarter had to go to Kansas City Chiefs fourth string quarterback James Killian who ran the two-minute for the first time in a game setting. He engineered an 11-play drive that ended with his 3-yard run into the end zone with just .21 seconds remaining. The Chiefs will have a full week to work out some of the bugs on defense as they'll begin preparing for Arizona Cardinals who invade Arrowhead next Saturday night at 7:30 pm.

Running back Robert Holcombe suffered a knee injury but it's not known at this time how severe the damage might be and it's doubtful the Chiefs will know until tomorrow or Sunday.

Rookie linebacker Boomer Grigsby led the defense with five tackles and two assists. He also was the wedge-buster on special team returns Friday night.

Safety William Bartee intercepted his first ball when he picked off a pass from the Vikings third string quarterback Shaun Hill.

Chiefs running backs Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson combined for 79 yards rushing. Each had a long run in the game.

Damon Huard had the best day of the Chiefs four quarterbacks as he threw for 125 yards and completed 14 of 26 passes. His day would have been better had it not been for an interception that killed a potential scoring drive.

Dustin Colquitt punted very well in his Chiefs debut. Though he only had an average slightly less than 40 yards; one of his punts was fumbled by return man Keenan Howry.

Wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe made a pair of third down catches as he caught three balls for 26 yards including a 13 yarder. Top Stories