Defense and Larry Johnson Power KC over Jets 27-7

On Sunday afternoon, the Kansas City Chiefs made it abundantly clear that they intend to run the ball more this season. Even further their new defense showed the ability to take the ball away and create turnovers. All was not perfect for the hometown team but they manhandled the Jets 27-7 to start the season off on the right foot.

Going into this game New York Jets running back Curtis Martin was very confident that he could run the ball against the Chiefs defense. In the offseason, Kansas City defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham made it clear that the teams priority was to stop the run. On Sunday they did just that as Martin ended the day averaging only 2.9 yards per carry. He ended his miserable day with only 57 yards rushing.

Even more impressive was the fact the Jets were parked inside the Chiefs red zone four times and in three of those visits, the defense held New York without scoring a single point. Despite the accolades that the defense deserves, it was the Chiefs offense that set the tone early with two touchdown drives.

On the games first possession, Kansas City marched three plays on 75 yards for their first touchdown of the season. After two runs by Priest Holmes that resulted in gains of five and thirty five yards respectively, Larry Johnson came in and scored on the very next play. He dashed untouched into the end zone from 35 yards and Kansas City led 7-0.

After the defense held the Jets offense, Kansas City went back to work. This time Trent Green completed six passes in a drive that ended when Priest Holmes ran in from three yards out. On the play, Holmes used his shiftiness to get into the end zone after shedding a pair of tackles. The run gave the Chiefs a 14-0 lead.

It would be a lead the Chiefs would never lose. On the next two possessions, Kansas City created a pair of turnovers by cornerback Patrick Surtain. He recovered a fumble thwarting a Jets drive and then picked off an errant pass from Jets quarterback Chad Pennington. On the play, Surtain ran it back 53 yards before being knocked out of the game with a mild head contusion. After the run back, Surtain lay on the stadium turf for nearly five minutes before getting up and walking back to the bench.

The first half scoring ended when Kansas City Chiefs kicker Lawrence Tynes nailed a 41-yard field goal. That kick gave the home team a 17-0 lead.

In the second half, the Jets tried to get back into the game. But on consecutive pass attempts wide receiver Laveranues Coles dropped two sure touchdown passes. One of them he clearly beat cornerback Benny Sapp but dropped the ball at the ten yard line. The second pass was dropped near the five yard line. For the hat trick, Coles dropped another one late in the fourth quarter.

The drive ended when defensive end Erik Hicks blocked a 28-yard field goal attempt by Jets Kicker Mike Nugent. That continued hope the Chiefs defense could do the unthinkable and that was to pitch a shut out.

After Larry Johnson manhandled the Jets defensive line and scored his second touchdown of the game that gave the Chiefs a 27-0 lead, the shutout was still within reach.

The Jets looking for some sort of spark offensively replaced Pennington with back-up quarterback Jay Fiedler. After converting on a pair of third down and fourth down plays, Fiedler hit tight end Chris Baker on a 23-yard scoring strike. That made the score 27-7.

Still the score mattered very little as Kansas City made a statement and started the season 1-0. Next week, the Chiefs will travel to Oakland for a Sunday Night contest against the Raiders. Top Stories