Eagles Flex Muscle Defeat Chiefs 37-31

On a day when the Kansas City Chiefs played a perfect first quarter and led 17-0 in the second quarter, they gave the game back to the Eagles when they fell flat the balance of the game. In the NFL you can't turn the ball over in the opponents red zone and expect to win. The Chiefs did just that and lost to the Eagles 37-31 at Arrowhead.

It didn't take long for the Chiefs offense to get into the end zone. After the opening kick-off Kansas City hit their stride on a perfectly executed, nine play drive that resulted in 3-yard touchdown run by Priest Holmes. That score gave the Chiefs a 7-0 lead. On the drive, Holmes carried the ball six times and the offensive line did a solid job opening running lanes.

After stopping the Eagles offense near midfield, Kansas City went back to work this time starting from the 2-yard line. Holmes busted a long gain then Trent Green found a streaking Eddie Kennison for a 49-yard completion that put the Chiefs in Eagles territory. But the Eagles defense stiffened and Kansas City had to settle for a 38-yard field goal from kicker Lawrence Tynes. That put the Chiefs up 10-0 with two minutes left in the first quarter.

Obviously the Chiefs were disappointed not scoring a touchdown but they'd get another chance on the ensuing kick-off. The Eagles Roderick Hood fumbled after having the ball torn out of his hands by Dewayne Washington, rookie linebacker Kris Griffin recovered the lose ball at the Eagles 27-yard line.

This time, the Chiefs didn't waste the opportunity that the Eagles gave them as they punched it into the end zone taking a commanding 17-0 lead. This time Green found his stroke and hit Kennison for an 8-yard pass. On the play Kennison caught the ball at the three yard line and beat cornerback Lito Sheppard who could not prevent the Chiefs wide receiver from backing into the end zone.

After both offenses failed to score, the Chiefs gave the Eagles a rare gift. After blocking a 40-yard field goal attempt by rookie kicker Todd France, Trent Green gave the Eagles sis points. After spreading the field with a five receiver set, his pass intended for Eddie Kennison was picked off by cornerback Sheldon Brown who raced into the end zone untouched. The Eagles failed to execute the point after and trailed the Chiefs 17-6.

But the score would change on the ensuing kick-off. Punt returner Dante Hall streaked up the field, cut back and outran Eagles kicker Todd France for a 96-yard touchdown. That gave the Chiefs a 24-6 lead with 4:27 left in the second quarter.

However the Chiefs turned the ball over a second time. This time Larry Johnson fumbled for the second consecutive week and the Eagles took over at midfield. On the play, defensive end Jevon Kearse separated Johnson from the ball and that gave his team a little spark.

Donovan McNabb completed a 28-yard pass to Terrell Owens and that put the ball at the Chiefs 7-yard line. On the very next play, McNabb rolled out and found a wide open Owens in the end zone. Kansas City Chiefs linebacker was the closest guy to Owens and he was late coming over that made the score 24-13.

But in the third quarter the Eagles offense woke from the dead. They would score the next 11 points giving them unanswered points carrying over from the second quarter. On their first possession drive of the second half they moved into Chiefs territory but had to settle for a 44-yard Todd France field goal.

After the Chiefs offense stalled the Eagles turned the ball over as Donovan McNabb threw his only interception of the day. Trying to hit Terrell Owens for a long gain Chiefs cornerback Dexter McCleon picked off the pass at the five yard line. But Kansas City could not sustain the momentum and the Eagles capitalized on their next drive.

It only took four plays for McNabb to get back in the end zone. He hit Mike Bartrum for a 3-yard scoring strike and the Eagles converted a 2-point conversion as McNabb hit Brian Westbrook and that tied the score at 24-24. Kansas City good not sustain drives in fact they only had a pair of first downs in the second half. But the same old for the Chiefs inept offense as they could only master one first down. The Eagles took possession from their own ten yard line and quickly moved the ball into Chiefs territory. Finally the defense held the Eagles offense from getting in the end zone. But France nailed his second field goal of the day from 37 yards out and Philadelphia took their first lead of the afternoon 27-24.

Showing how to kick a team when it's down, the Eagles forced a fumble on the ensuing kick-off when Dante Hall coughed up the ball at the Chiefs 25-yard line. With a short field to work with and after the Chiefs lost a challenge and nearly intercepting McNabb on two occasions, they punched into the end zone when the wonder kid hit L.J. Smith for a one-yard score that gave the Eagles a 34-24 lead.

On the next Chiefs offensive possession, Trent Green threw his second interception of the game and that sealed the win for Eagles as Todd France nailed his third field goal of the game. This time from 26-yards out and the Eagles took a 37-24 victory. The Eagles ran off an incredible 31 unanswered points.

The Chiefs offense did manage to get into the end zone with 1:24 left in the game as Green hit Dante Hall from 15 yards out. That cut the deficit to 37-31 but that was the last life the Chiefs showed on Sunday. Lawrence Tynes popped the ball up in his attempt for an onsides kick and it was recovered by the Eagles.

The Chiefs will enter the bye week with a 2-2 record. At the onset of the season, every Chiefs fan would have taken it but after starting the year with two wins, this team has to be disappointed in the loss on Sunday.

WarpaintIllustrated.com Top Stories