Cliff Notes: Busy Day At Arrowhead

Wednesday was a busy day at Arrowhead Stadium - The Chiefs signed free agent quarterback Quinn Gray to a two-year contract, claimed punter Steve Weatherford off waivers, added a new player to the practice squad, moved two quarterbacks to the IR, and it was made clear that Larry Johnson will be inactive for this week's game against the Jets.

Perhaps the biggest roster move of the day was Gray's signing. The 29-year old appeared in 11 games as a Jaguar, starting five, and has 1,252 career passing yards, with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. Gray played his college ball at Florida A&M and entered the NFL in 2005 as an undrafted free agent. Listed at 6-foot-3, 254 pounds, Quinn has a larger body than both Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard, so he may stand up to punishment better.

Croyle and Huard were placed on the Injured Reserve list, and will not see any more action this season. Croyle tore his MCL in last week's contest against the Titans, and Huard is suffering from ligament damage in his throwing hand.

The Chiefs claimed Weatherford off waivers as an insurance policy for Dustin Colquitt, who appears to be suffering from an undisclosed leg injury. Colquitt made every punt last week against the Titans, but walked with a limp. The Chiefs still expect Colquitt to start this week in New York.

The Chiefs' final roster move of the day was the addition of wide receiver Nate Hughes to the practice squad. Hughes is a rookie free agent out of Alcorn State who spent time with the Cleveland Browns earlier this season. He was an all-SWAC performer as a wideout, returned kicks and led the conference in all-purpose yards.

In the wake of accusations that he spat on a woman and threatened a man's life at a Kansas City nightclub, Larry Johnson issued a statement:

"I want to start off by saying I apologize to the Hunt Family and my family, first and foremost and to fans, my teammates, coaches and players. This is the first time in my life that I actually woke up and was kind of disgusted with myself and disgusted as far as the way my life and my career is headed right now."

"I can't speak any further on the legal issues at this time other than to say that the truth will come to light and promise not only to the fans, not only to teammates, players, coaches, GMs and my own family, that I do anticipate seeking help to get better as far as getting my life on track and knowing what I want out of this life, not necessarily football and just work on, as hard as I can, not only being a good football player, but obviously being a son of the National Football League, a son of my own family, hopefully a brother, a father and a future husband."

"I'm going to work to that point to get my life back on track and know that I and I alone put myself in these critical situations and environments to where things don't come out favorably to me. All I can do is promise to you guys and to people who are watching that as a man, I'm still growing and as a man everyone makes mistakes."

"In times of darkness, you've got to look for the light and that's what I plan on doing, regardless of what suspensions and fines are being handed down. I will take them as sincerely as they give them out."

Johnson is awaiting the results of investigations being performed by both the NFL and Kansas City Police Department. He will be inactive this weekend against the Jets. Top Stories