Here is what Warpaint Illustrated has learned as of 3:30 PM this afternoon.
1. WR Anquan Boldin - He will be dealt by the end of the day per our league source. As has been reported the issue at hand is which of the three teams the Cardinals will send him to. The Chiefs, New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens (the front runner per Adam Schefter) have all offered a third-round pick. The Chiefs are in the best position but now, with three teams bidding, the Cardinals are trying to snag a second-round pick.
The other issue at hand is that Boldin wants a new contract and the Chiefs have the money to get it done. The Ravens may also be exploring other options this point. They have had Texans wide receiver Kevin Walter in for a physical.
If the Chiefs really want Boldin, one source indicated they might be able to sweeten deal by throwing in a player and adding a second-day pick. That would be a steep price to pay, but Boldin's worth it.
UPDATE: 5:16 PM CST - Boldin has been dealt to the Ravens per Adam Schefter.
2. LB Karlos Dansby - Our primary source tells us that he may still visit the Chiefs. Dansby really wants to be a star in this process and could visit four or five teams before it's all said and done, unless a team is willing to pony up his $55 million asking price. There is strong interest from the Chiefs but no confirmation that he'll be in Kansas City before the weekend is out. If he fails to get a deal done in Miami he's going to Washington, then maybe Kansas City.
3. RB Thomas Jones - The Chiefs are trying hard to get him into Kansas City this weekend. It appears the Jets, who cut him a few days ago, would like him back. But we're not sure how Jones feels about that at the moment.
Right now if he were to come to Kansas City he'd likely want to compete for a starting job. With Jamaal Charles emerging last season, the addition of Jones would allow the two to share the running back duties and it would give the Chiefs the option to make Charles the full time kick and punt return man.
4. S Antrel Rolle - It was reported he was close to a deal as free agency opened, but now that doesn't appear to be the case. Per our source, Rolle is deciding between the Chiefs, Ravens and Giants. At the moment he's headed to New York. If he leaves, it will be a fight between Baltimore and Kansas City to get him in town next.
5. S Ryan Clark - The 30-year old, who enjoyed a career season with the Steelers in 2009, is reportedly heading to Kansas City to visit. If the Chiefs can reel him in, he would solve a big problem at one of their safety positions. Obviously, if the Chiefs can land both Clark and Rolle, they'd be set at safety.
Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated for all the latest from NFL free agency.
Chiefs Free Agency Update - Friday Afternoon
WarpaintIllustrated.com Top Stories
2017 NFL Draft 1st Round TrackerStay up to date with all the picks and trades of the opening night of the 2017 NFL Draft.
Dolphins ReportYesterday at 12:26 PM
Nick Saban Sides with Team FocusNick Saban was the featured guest on Tuesday evening for the Tenth Annual Team Focus fundraiser held at the Mobile Convention Center. Mike Gottfried and wife, Mickey, are the Co…
BamaMagTuesday at 10:23 PM
Broncos Schedule Breakdown: Part 2Will Keys goes game-by-game to break down the second half of the Denver Broncos 2017 schedule.
Mile High HuddleTuesday at 10:09 AM
Broncos Schedule Breakdown: Part 1Will Keys takes a game-by-game look at the first half of the Denver Broncos 2017-18 schedule.
Mile High HuddleMonday at 4:40 AM