Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY Sports

Reports: Colts left tackle Anthony Castonzo is close to receiving a $42-million contract extension

Colts left tackle is expected to receive a four-year, $42-million deal.

Indianapolis Colts offensive left tackle Anthony Castonzo is reportedly on the verge of receiving a four-year, $42-million contract extension.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported the deal Thursday and ESPN’s Mike Wells quoted a source who said the extension is “very close” to being done. Rapoport said Castonzo stands to make $35 million in the contract’s first three years.

Colts owner Jim Irsay had said in recent months he hoped to have wide receiver T.Y. Hilton and Castonzo signed to long-term extensions before the regular season began. During last month’s training camp, Hilton agreed to a five-year, $65-million extension with $38 million guaranteed.

Castonzo, 27, has started all 60 games of his NFL career since being selected in the first round of the 2011 NFL draft with the 22nd overall pick. He’s entering the final year of his contract, which pays him $7.438 million this season.

Considered one of the NFL’s most underrated left tackles, Castonzo was the only Colts offensive lineman to start every game last season and played 1,400 snaps. He’s been the team’s best blocker and is the most important because he protects quarterback Andrew Luck’s blind side from many of the league’s best pass rushers.

Castonzo said during training camp that he hoped the details on a new deal could be worked out, but that he wasn’t worried about it. He said the talks wouldn’t affect his approach to the season.

The Colts open Sunday at the Buffalo Bills.

Phillip B. Wilson also can be found on Facebook and Google+.


Colts Blitz Top Stories