IRVING -- Quarterback Tony Romo missed Wednesday's practice as part of a continuation from last year's "Romo Wednesday'' plan to allow the veteran signal caller to remain fresh ahead of each game.
Head coach Jason Garrett told the media that the 35-year-old was involved in the morning
"We'll stick with that plan for this week and see how it goes," Garrett said. "What we've
talked about with him in the past is the idea of three days in a row. Again, he was
involved in the walkthrough this morning and got a little bit of reps and not going to be
involved in practice but be back in the regular routine tomorrow."
Last season, Romo was coming off his second straight season with a back surgery. After an
abysmal three-interception performance in Week 1 against the San Francisco 49ers, Romo
began to miss Wednesday practices on a regular basis. Ultimately, the plan to keep Romo
fresh worked as he finished the year with a 113.2 passer rating an a fourth Pro Bowl
"It'll be fluid,'' Romo said of the plan going forward, adding that "anytime you have an offseason, makes you feel as though you've been able to improve ... the time I've had on the field allows (me) to take my game up a notch. I'm excited about that.''
Naturally, Romo had input in the return of taking Wednesday practices off, according to Garrett.
"With all players, it's a lot about the communication that we have: the player and our training staff, the player and our coaches. And you have to have open dialogue and open communication as to how they feel and how they respond to the work. So, we make the decision collectively, but Tony certainly has a strong voice in that."
Also on the injury front: receiver Dez Bryant was practicing along with linebacker Anthony Hitchens (limited, along with J.J. Wilcox) and right guard Zack Martin. Aside from Orlando Scandrick's season-ending ACL and MCL tear, the Cowboys met owner Jerry Jones' goal of making it to Opening Night healthy.