* RB Troy Hambrick suffered a broken finger in Sunday's win over the Lions, but the injury is not expected to sideline Hambrick this week at Tampa Bay. Hambrick leads the team with 419 rushing yards, but also has an NFL-high 22 runs for negative yardage.
* QB Quincy Carter has come a long way since his first-ever start against the Buccaneers two years ago. Carter passed for just 34 yards
and threw two interceptions and had a quarterback rating of 14.5 in a 10-6 opening-day defeat. Carter is now over. 500 in his 21 career starts (11-10) and is guiding the NFL's fourth-best offense with an 84.6 quarterback
* WR Terry Glenn came to the Cowboys in the spring in a trade with the Packers as a potential third receiver. He became a starter by
training camp and is now the Cowboys leading receiver with his 23 catches for 333 yards and four touchdown receptions.
* FB Richie Anderson has rushed 31 times for 149 yards this season, a 4.8 yards average, putting him on pace for career highs in yards and
catches. He has caught 15 passes for 115 yards. Anderson, a 11-year veteran, is tied for the team lead with three runs of at least 15 yards
and leads the running backs with five receptions of 10 or more yards.
* LB Al Singleton, who returns to Tampa Bay Sunday one season after helping them win the Super Bowl, is one of three new starters on a
Cowboys defense that ranks first in the league. The others are defensive tackle Willie Blade and cornerback Terence Newman.
GAME PLAN: The Cowboys certainly watched tape of the Tampa Bay loss to the 49ers last week. They will try to have similar success on the ground with running back Troy Hambrick, setting up their play-action passing game and hopefully make big plays down the field against Tampa Bay's banged up secondary. Defensively, stopping the run is always the key. However, they must get pressure on quarterback Brad Johnson, who with time would pick the secondary apart because of the size of the Buccaneers receivers.
MATCHUPS TO WATCH: Tampa Bay DLE Simeon Rice vs. Cowboys LT Flozell Adams. Rice is a disruptive force that the Cowboys must account for. Adams was given a $10 million bonus in the offseason to protect quarterback Quincy Carter's blindside. Rice will be his responsibility most of the game, however, the Cowboys will be smart about it and double team Rice at times with the running back or the center. If the Cowboys can handle Rice, then they will have time to make big plays down the field. If not, then they will be a pedestrian drive the field offense, which is not their strong suit.
INJURY IMPACT: TE James Whalen (ankle) is listed as probable for the game. He has not missed practice and the Cowboys are counting on him to play Sunday against the Buccaneers. He is there best special teams player.
* TE Dan Campbell (quad) is listed as probable for the game. He has practiced all week and the Cowboys do not expect him to be limited against the Buccaneers.
Cowboys News & Notes
CowboysHQ Top Stories
A Cowboys How-To Trade For CB Richard ShermanWe've Got A Dallas Cowboys How-To - And Why To - Trade For CB Richard Sherman, And We've Got Notes On Pre-Draft Visits To The Star In Frisco ...
Cowboys Sign No. 2 QB Candidate Kellen MooreThe Dallas Cowboys have a major decision to make on one 'backup' QB in Tony Romo. In the meantime, they've made a decision on Kellen Moore that could end up being 'major' behind…
CowboysHQMonday at 11:05 AM
Held Hostage: Cowboys Romo + Good Cop/Bad CopCowboys Held Hostage: The Good Cop & The Bad Cop In The Tony Romo 'Mexican Standoff' Saga (And The Scoop On That Cute 'Pinkie-Promise Video)
CowboysHQMonday at 7:47 AM
Cowboys 1st-10: Bye To Ware, Promise To Romo?In this weekend's edition of First and 10, I tip my hat to DeMarcus Ware on the week of his retirement, break down more free-agent moves, touch on Tony Romo's "pinkie-promise'' and…
CowboysHQSaturday at 8:02 AM
StarCAST: Cowboys 'Decimated' By Free Agency?StarCAST: Are Cowboys Being 'Decimated' By NFL Free Agency? Plus The Latest On The Travels Of Ezekiel Elliott ...
CowboysHQFriday at 7:29 AM