Crayton was waived Saturday so the Cowboys could sign tight end Brett Pearce off the Ravens practice squad.
The Cowboys still like Crayton, a seventh-round pick from Northwestern Oklahoma State, and signed him back to the practice squad on Monday and released tight end Landon Trusty.
Pearce, a rookie from Stanford, is the second tight end signed by the Cowboys after the season ending injury to Dan Campbell. They signed veteran Mikhael Ricks to a one-year deal Wednesday.
* QB Tony Romo and QB Drew Henson got extra reps in practice during the bye week, while starter Vinny Testaverde rested.
Romo is a Testaverde injury away from playing, which is why coach Bill Parcells spent a good portion of the bye week preparing Romo. Romo was a little shaky in practice.
"I was telling him I bet his girlfriend didn't get many teddy bears when he took her to the arcade, because he couldn't hit anything for a couple of plays," Parcells said.
"But it gave me a chance to make a point to him. I said, 'Look, we don't have the luxury of waiting six plays for you to get back in tune with football. You're going to get thrown into a game this season where the first play you've got to be ready.'"
Parcells said he is looking for a chance to get Romo some time in the games but the Cowboys would need a lot of breathing room to get it down.
"You mean, what constitutes breathing room? Well, who's playing for the other team?" Parcells asked. "I don't think I'd be doing that with (Brett) Favre or Peyton Manning in the game. What constitutes breathing room, that would depend on the opponent."
It's also not a certainty that Romo will be the primary backup all season with the way Henson is progressing.
Henson has been able to shake off the rust from four years away from football without any pressure. He is getting better, as well, and Parcells remains hopeful that Henson might see game action this season.
"I don't know if leapfrog would be the right word," Parcells said, when asked if Henson might be the No. 2 quarterback instead of Romo at some point this season. "I would like to get both of these guys in a game sometime this year a little bit."
* DB Tyrone Williams got the law according to Bill Parcells handed down to him before he was signed by the Cowboys last week. Williams, who could play as a nickel back this Sunday against the Giants, was deactivated for the final nine games with Atlanta last season for conduct detrimental to the team.
"I don't talk to players too much about what transpired somewhere else," Parcells said. "What I do tell them is what it is like here. Here is the way it is going to be, so if you can accept that, that's fine. If you can't, then you won't fit in. Especially when you bring in a veteran, I think it is important to tell them."
The speech is short and sweet and goes something like: Don't make me regret bringing you here.
One of the reasons Parcells felt comfortable bringing in Williams, despite his recent problems, is that Parcells' good friend, former Green Bay Packers general manager Ron Wolf, gave Williams his OK.
* SS Roy Williams has been fined $7,500 for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Washington wide receiver Laveranues Coles in Monday night's victory over the Redskins.
* TE Mikhael Ricks was signed to replace the injured Dan Campbell even though he is more of a passing catching tight end than a blocking tight end because the Cowboys were looking for a contingency in case pass catching tight end Jason Witten were to get hurt.
* RT Jacob Rogers has been alternating practice reps with starter Torrin Tucker. Coach Bill Parcells said he wants to get Rogers, a rookie second round pick from Southern California, some playing time so he can be ready if called upon because of injury.
Tuesday News & Notes
CowboysHQ Top Stories
Senior Bowl Rosters: Cowboys Dak's AdviceThe Cowboys Are In Mobile For The Senior Bowl. The Rosters Have Been Assembled. And Dallas QB Dak Prescott - Just A Year Ago Among The Prospects Emerging from This Game - Has Some…
Cowboys Blame Game Notebook From The StarCowboys Season-Ending (And Beginning) Reporter's Notebook From Inside The Star - Lotsa Hot Takes, No Headline Porn, Lotsa 'Blame Game'
CowboysHQYesterday at 5:58 AM
Cowboys Star Ezekiel Elliott Dances To VegasCowboys Star Ezekiel Elliott (With Dak Prescott, Of Course) Takes His Dance Steps To Vegas (Video)
CowboysHQSunday at 12:25 PM
Cowboys 1st +10: Jaylon Among 5 Who Must HitEach weekend I provide 10 quick hits on the Dallas Cowboys. I start with the five players I believe have to hit it big for Dallas in 2017 to continue to contend, along with why …
CowboysHQSunday at 4:52 AM
7 Steps To A Cowboys Romo For Watt TradeThe 7 How-To Steps To A Tony Romo For J.J. Watt Trade Between The Cowboys and The Texans (Yes, I'm Serious)
CowboysHQFriday at 5:17 PM