A New Star Emerges

Quarterback Drew Henson looked like a confused rookie. Fortunately for the Dallas Cowboys, Julius Jones didn't play like a rookie. <BR>

Jones rushed for 150 yards and his first two touchdowns as the Cowboys snapped a three-game losing streak with a 21-7 victory over the Chicago Bears in a Thanksgiving Day game.

The Cowboys (4-7) commemorated the holiday by giving Henson, a former baseball prospect with the New York Yankees, his first NFL start. Coach Bill Parcells was reluctant to make the move, but regular starter Vinny Testaverde suffered a shoulder injury last Sunday at Baltimore and only had a few days to recover.

Henson did throw a touchdown, but it was to the Bears. With the Cowboys holding a 7-0 lead, Henson rolled out to his right and tried to hit Quincy Morgan, but cornerback R.W. McQuarters picked off the pass and returned the interception 45 yards for a touchdown with 5:57 left in the second quarter.

Parcells grimaced and shook his head after the turnover. At halftime, Parcells yanked Henson, who completed just 4-of-12 passes for 31 yards.

Testaverde entered to a chorus of boos from the fans, who wanted Henson to remain in the game. The boos turned to cheers when Testaverde hit fullback Darian Barnes with the go-ahead, three-yard touchdown pass with 11:07 left in the fourth quarter.

But the fans were especially delighted with Jones, who proved he could play the role of workhorse with 33 carries a mere four days after he rushed for 80 yards on 31 carries at Baltimore.

Jones electrified the crowd with a 33-yard touchdown run 4:17 into the game and scored on a four-yard run with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter.

A second-round pick out of Notre Dame, Jones returned to the Cowboys last week after suffering a broken shoulder blade in Week Two.

Jones' older brother Thomas plays for the Bears and finished with 46 yards on 14 carries.

Chicago (4-7) managed just 10 first downs and 140 total yards.

Craig Krenzel threw for just 46 yards and fumbled the ball away once before leaving in the second quarter with a right ankle injury. Jonathan Quinn relieved and was intercepted twice.

CowboysHQ Top Stories