The Denver Broncos re-signed offensive lineman Ben Hamilton to a multi-year deal on Thursday. The signing is key as he's a projected starter at guard for the club in 2005.
• The San Diego Chargers have reached a multi-year contract agreement with free agent safety Bhawoh Jue (Packers). Jue could wind up being the starter at free safety because veteran safety Jerry Wilson remains a free agent.
• The Denver Broncos reached a multi-year contract agreement with free agent linebacker Ian Gold (Buccaneers) on Thursday.
• Gold had made it clear with potential suitors that he wanted to play on the weak side which is where he played in the first four seasons of his career with Denver before spending one season on the strong side with Tampa Bay.
• The New York Jets reportedly reached a multi-year contract agreement with free agent running back Derrick Blaylock on Thursday. He'll back up veteran running back Curtis Martin play he can play on specials teams and also handle a third down role if needed.
• The Redskins bolstered their receiving corps this afternoon, signing David Patten, late of the New England Patriots.
Patten gives the Redskins an experienced wideout, though he's at best a No. 2 and perhaps a No. 3, depending on who else is on the roster. He's listed at 5-foot-10, but appeared smaller in person. But he has speed and averaged more than 18 yards a catch with seven touchdowns for the Super Bowl champs this season.
He posted a career-high 61 receptions a few years ago for New England. He's also played for the Giants and the Browns.
The Redskins likely will continue to look for a big receiver, perhaps through the draft. There's still the possibility of trading Laveranues Coles. They're also shopping wideout Rod Gardner.
An 11 a.m. press conference is scheduled for Friday.
• The Oakland Raiders have released linebacker DeLawrence Grant and offensive guard Ron Stone.
• Free agent safety Travares Tillman (Texans) visited with the Miami Dolphins on Thursday.
• The Denver Broncos have agreed to terms with free agent linebacker Ian Gold (Tampa Bay).
• The St. Louis Rams have agreed to terms with free agent linebacker Chris Claiborne (Vikings) on a multi-year contract.
• The Dallas Cowboys have signed free agent offensive guard Marco Rivera (Packers) to a five-year, $20 million contract that includes a $9 million signing bonus.
• The Bengals will have a visit from free agent defensive lineman Bryan Robinson (Dolphins).
• The Redskins will have a visit from free agent wide receiver David Patten (Patriots).
• The Oakland Raiders reached a multi-year contract agreement with free agent running back LaMont Jordan on Thursday.
"We're thrilled to have LaMont Jordan as a member of the Oakland Raider organization," Raiders head coach Norv Turner said. "Jimmy Raye (assistant head coach/offensive coordinator) coached LaMont in New York, so we know a lot about him. We know the type of work ethic, the type of ability he brings. We're excited to have him and we believe he's going to be a premier runner for our organization."
Jordan will take over the starting job at running back for veteran back Tyrone Wheatley, who was released.
• The Carolina Panthers have reached a multi-year contract agreement with free agent cornerback Ken Lucas on Thursday.
• Lucas likely will start over third-year cornerback Ricky Manning.
• Ike Hilliard: Giants receiver expected to be released after refusing to accept salary cut.
• The Carolina Panthers reached a multi-year contract agreement with free agent offensive lineman Mike Wahle (Packers) on Thursday.
• The Panthers have been looking for an upgrade on the right side at guard and at tackle -- both positions that Wahle is capable of playing.
• The Panthers were also hosting free agent cornerback Ken Lucas on Thursday.
• Unrestricted free agent linebacker Morlon Greenwood reportedly reached a multi-year contract agreement with the Houston Texans.
• Greenwood visited the Texans on Wednesday and both parties reached an agreement on Thursday afternoon.
• Greenwood had mostly played on the strong side for the Miami Dolphins and likely will line up in the same position next season for his new team. Veteran linebacker Kailee Wong will move inside where he's a much better fit. Where this leaves veteran inside linebacker Jay Foreman is in question.
• The San Diego Chargers will have visits from free agents cornerback/punt and kick returner Allen Rossum (Falcons) and safety Bhawoh Jue (Packers) on Thursday.
• The Cleveland Browns will have free agent visits from punter Kyle Richardson (Bengals) and guard Cosey Coleman (Buccaneers).
• The New York Giants will release veteran wide receiver Ike Hilliard after he refused a pay cut.
• Free agent wide receiver Travis Taylor is visiting the Vikings today. Taylor's representatives contacted the Vikings and Taylor feels that he would be a good fit for their offense.
• The Philadelphia Eagles today announced three players underwent
successful surgical procedures:
• WR Terrell Owens … screws removed in his ankle by Dr. Mark Myerson in
• CB Matt Ware … knee debridement by Dr. Tom Knapp in Los Angeles, CA.
• SS Michael Lewis … ankle and toe debridement by Dr. Mark Myerson in
• Jay Fiedler: Veteran QB expected to visit Giants.
• Kareem McKenzie: Jets free agent offensive tackle visits Giants on Thursday.
• The Philadelphia Eagles have reached a one-year contract agreement with veteran defensive end Hugh Douglas. His deal to re-sign with the club is loaded with incentives.
• The Atlanta Falcons have strong interest in free agent safety Kenoy Kennedy and he is visiting the team Thursday.
• According to a broadcast report, free agent linebacker Antonio Pierce has not signed a contract with the New York Giants yet and is giving the Washington Redskins the opportunity to match their offer.
• Free agent safety Kenoy Kennedy has a visit scheduled for later this week in Detroit.
• The Patriots and Cardinals are close to agreeing on a deal which would include veteran cornerback Duane Starks. Arizona would receive a third-round pick for Starks and the teams would also swap fifth-round picks.
• Terms of the contract between the New York Giants and Antonio Pierce: $26 million deal with a $6.5 million signing bonus to join Giants.
• Bengals RB Rudi Johnson has not signed his tender offer yet.
• RB Fred McAfee re-signed with the Saints.
• WR Jerome Pathon was released by the Saints Wednesday.
• TE Joe Zelenka re-signed with the Jaguars.
• The Washington Redskins have agreed to a contract with long-snapper Ethan Albright.
• Free agent offensive guard Jermane Mayberry (Eagles) will visit with the Saints on Thursday.
• The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are expressing an interest in free agent tight end Anthony Becht (Jets).
• The San Diego Chargers will have free agent return specialist Allen Rossum (Falcons) in for a visit Thursday.
• The Miami Dolphins entertained free agent defensive end/tackle Kevin Carter (Tennessee) on Wednesday.
• The Miami Dolphins have expressed an interest in free agent defensive end Bobby Hamilton (Oakland).
• The Cleveland Browns have a visit scheduled with free agent safety Kenoy Kennedy (Denver).
• Free agent defensive tackle Ed Jasper (Atlanta) has scheduled a visit with the Oakland Raiders.
• Free agent linebacker Matt Stewart has a visit scheduled with the Miami Dolphins.
• The San Diego Chargers are in negotiations with free agent safety Bhawoh Jue (Green Bay).
• Free agent running back Derrick Blaylock (Kansas City) has a visit scheduled with the Houston Texans.
• Free agent offensive tackle Jonas Jennings (Buffalo) has agreed to terms with the San Francisco 49ers.
• Free agent running back Derrick Blaylock (Kansas City) has a visit scheduled with the New York Jets.
• The Baltimore Ravens believe they are close to re-signing free agent cornerback Gary Baxter (Baltimore).
• The Vikings have expressed an interest in free agent safety Arturo Freeman (Miami).
• Free agent linebacker Morlon Greenwood (Miami) visited with Houston on Wednesday.
• Free agent quarterback Jay Fiedler (Miami) is expected to visit the Giants on Thursday.
• Free agent quarterback Gus Frerotte (Vikings) is expected to visit the Dolphins on Monday.
• The Minnesota Vikings have inquired about the services of free agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress (Pittsburgh).
• The Miami Dolphins have spoken with free agent safety Kenoy Kennedy (Denver).
• The Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins have expressed in interest in quarterback Brad Johnson (Tampa Bay).
• Free agent defensive end Chike Okeafor (Seattle) has visits scheduled with Denver and Arizona.
• The Dallas Cowboys have been in contact with free agent center Robbie Tobeck (Seattle).
• The Carolina Panthers are scheduled to meet with free agent cornerback Ken Lucas (Seattle) on Thursday.
Miss the opening day of Free Agency? Click
Here to catch up on all of the free agency happenings from Wednesday's start of the 2005 NFL Free Agency period.
Cowboys Contact Offensive Lineman
CowboysHQ Top Stories
Cowboys 1st and 10: The Front Four ShuffleEach weekend I provide 10 quick hits on the Cowboys. Marinelli is turning to his tackles to create an edge rush, the debate about Romo’s job security is a little insulting, and…
CowboysHQYesterday at 1:00 PM
Dallas Cowboys Fantasy Picks for Week 3Here are CowboysHQ.com's Dallas Cowboys Fantasy Football picks for Week 3 against the Chicago Bears (plus a Norm Hitzges special!)
CowboysHQFriday at 10:00 AM
Cowboys STARCast: 'Alpha Pup' Vs. The BearsCowboys STARCast: 'Alpha Pup' + 'Butterfly' + Big Changes On D Vs. The Bears - Hear from Tyrone, Jack, Church and Durant!
CowboysHQFriday at 7:05 AM
Cowboys Shuffle D-Line; Do Sacks Matter?We know the Cowboys' pass rush is challenged. We know, thanks to CHQ sources, that a shuffle is coming this Sunday. So, historically, how much do sacks really matter to a team's…
CowboysHQFriday at 4:57 AM