What a Comeback!

The Dallas Cowboys rallied from a 21-6 first half deficit to defeat the San Francisco 49ers, 34-31. Stay tuned to TheRanchReport.com for complete coverage of the game.

Photo Gallery
Box Score

Scoring Summary
Locker Room Report

The Dallas Cowboys responded from one of their worst home losses in recent memory by rallying for a big win on the road.

Drew Bledsoe connected with Keyshawn Johnson for a 14-yard touchdown grab and two-point conversion with 1:51 remaining to lift the Cowboys to a nail-biting 34-31 triumph over the San Francisco 49ers.

Dallas (2-1) had just six days to get over Monday's painful 14-13 loss to Washington in which it surrendered two long touchdown passes in the final four minutes. The Cowboys started slowly but erased a 15-point first-half deficit.

"It's huge, absolutely huge," Bledsoe said. "It's a bounce-back game for us after losing on Monday night. Had we lost two in a row, it could have been really heartbreaking. It could have worn us down as a team."

"We needed this win," said Cowboys running back Julius Jones, who rushed for 86 yards and two touchdowns. "The loss last week, we kind of gave the game away toward the end. We really needed this win. Coach (Bill) Parcells talked this week about being a team and he wanted to see what kind of team we were and I think we showed him and ourselves what kind of team we are going to have this year."

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells praised his team.

"I'm proud of them, the way they came back, that was a pretty good comeback so I commend them for that," he said.

Terry Glenn caught two long passes to set up both of the Cowboys' scores in the final period. His 58-yard grab late in the third quarter led to Julius Jones' one-yard plunge on the second play of the fourth period to cut the deficit to 31-26.

"We needed two scores and finally Terry made a couple of big plays and I thought Drew was good there, too," Parcells said. "We just didn't get into it today. A couple of guys made a couple of good plays to get us back in there and we pulled out a win, but it was a tough win."

Glenn, who had five catches for 137 yards, made a 44-yard grab at the 15 with 3:33 left in the contest. Bledsoe connected with Johnson on the go-ahead score three plays later.

"We didn't play consistent on defense," San Francisco safety Tony Parrish said. "They continued to execute and we didn't. It's a real letdown. Every time we put some points on the board, defensively, we would let them back in the game."

San Francisco first-year coach Mike Nolan questioned the commitment of some his players to the system he's trying to implement.

"The things I will say tomorrow will be things as far as trust, who believes in the things we are doing, and who seems to think they have a better idea," he said. "We will find a place for those that think they have a better idea. The ones that trust and who I believe are champions, will remain here.

"When you call a defensive or offensive play, a player can do what he is supposed to do in that play or he can think that he knows better and does what he wants to do. One decision is called trust, and one is called distrust."

Bledsoe had another solid game, completing 24-of-38 passes for 363 yards, two TDs and two interceptions. It was the first 300-yard game since September 14, 2003 for Bledsoe, who also ran for a score in the first quarter.

Tim Rattay, who was 21-of-34 for 269 yards, got San Francisco (1-2) on the board with a 15-yard TD pass to Arnaz Battle with 3:38 left in the opening period.

"I'm really proud of how hard we played and how hard we fought," Battle said. "We disappointed ourselves because we should have won."

San Francisco took a 14-6 lead when Brandon Lloyd scored on an 89-yard catch-and-run with 8:24 left in the half. Lloyd had four catches for a career-high 142 yards and two TDs.

The lead grew to 21-6 three plays later when Parrish returned the first of his two interceptions 34 yards for the touchdown. It was Parrish's second career interception return for a touchdown, the other coming as a member of the Chicago Bears on November 17, 2000.

Parrish's interception late in the third quarter preceded Lloyd's 15-yard TD grab with less than a minute to go in the period.

Although he had his second career three-touchdown performance, Rattay also threw two second-half interceptions as San Francisco was held to just seven points after the break.

"I never felt it slipping away," Rattay said. "We felt good and confident throughout the game. I could not make any plays near the end and I take full responsibility for this loss on the offensive side of the ball. This loss is most frustrating because we had a great chance to win and go 2-1, and we just did not get the job done."

CowboysHQ Top Stories