Glover and Ellis were benched at the end of the last season and are not expected to be starters in 2006. Glover is due a $1.5 million roster bonus, which is lot for a part-time player. The same is true for Ellis, though he is due a more palpable $500,000 roster bonus.
Allen made the Pro Bowl, but he is not player he used to be. The Cowboys have to decide if he is worth a $2 million roster bonus in March and his $7 million cap figure for 2006. They could ask him to take a pay cut.
Updated Team Needs
1. Offensive tackle: This position was the team's Achilles' heel in 2005. With left tackle Flozell Adams injured, they were suspect on both sides. Adams will be back in 2006, but the Cowboys need an upgrade at right tackle, where rookie Rob Petitti struggled mightily last season. The Cowboys don't draft offensive linemen in the first round but may make an exception this year. Several key free agents will also be available, including former Bills tackle Mike Williams and former Jets tackle Jason Fabini.
2. Safety: The Cowboys like Keith Davis but they like him best as a special teams player. They will need a free safety to play opposite Roy Williams. Texas safety Michael Huff would be a good fit but he will be long gone by the time Cowboys pick. Early rumors have the Cowboys looking at Chris Hope in free agency, or using an early draft pick to provide help.
3. Linebacker: Dat Nguyen is retiring. The Cowboys need a replacement at inside linebacker. They also are looking for upgrades at outside linebacker. Ohio State's Bobby Carpenter is intriguing because his dad played for Cowboys coach Bill Parcells with the New York Giants. Dallas has also talked extensively with Carpenter at the NFL Combine.
4. Wide Receiver: Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn are set for next season. But the end is near for both. The Cowboys need to get some new blood. They also need to add speed at the position. Glenn is unlikely to play a full 16 games two straight years as he has never done so before. One rumor starting to pick up more steam in recent days is former Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens to Dallas.
5. Kicker: Dallas used four different kickers last year, but none of them were consistently effective. Based on the fact that the lack of a quality kicker cost them at least two games in 2005, the Cowboys will look towards free agency first to address this need. Veterans Adam Vinatieri (New England) and Matt Bryant (Tampa Bay) are the two likely candidates here.
Updated Team Needs
CowboysHQ Top Stories
Exclusive: Can Cowboys Gregory Practice?Cowboys sources tell CowboysHQ.com that drug-suspended Randy Gregory 'may' re-join the team for practice on Wednesday. But there is more to the story ...
CowboysHQYesterday at 11:54 AM
Dak, Zeke + Cowboys Dominate Pro Bowl VotingRookies Dak and Zeke - And The Cowboys in General - Dominate Pro Bowl Voting
CowboysHQYesterday at 6:33 AM
Cowboys Monday: A Clinch + A FlexFRISCO - Cowboys Monday: A Playoff Clinch + A TV Flex
CowboysHQMonday at 12:24 AM
Cowboys 1st and 10: Fixing Thursday NightEach weekend I provide 10 quick hits on the Dallas Cowboys. I provide my thoughts on how the NFL can fix the Thursday night schedule issue and ensure teams don’t have to do what…
CowboysHQSunday at 9:01 AM