Free Agency News & Notes Around the League:
* The New York Jets and quarterback Chad Pennington] are a couple million dollars apart on a restructed deal, with the opportunity for the QB to make up most of his 2005 salary. The team continues to talk with the Washington Redskins regarding quarterback [b]Patrick Ramsey[/b]. League sources tell me they have started to talk contract extension, but we are not too sure with the state of the CBA.
* The Carolina Panthers and representatives for potential free agent linebacker [b]Will Witherspoon[/b] have been engaged in contract talks recently. Discussions have gotten to the point where there is a modest chance the linebacker could have a deal in place prior to the start of the free agent player signing period.
* The Detroit Lions are staying relatively quiet, but have spent a
significant amount of time studying potential free agent quarterback
Drew Brees (San Diego). This only lends further credence that the
organization is not comfortable with Joey Harrington manning the
controls. Additionally, the Lions were one of three teams that has shown
a tremendous amount of interest in quarterback Jay Cutler of
* The Kansas City Chiefs will be in contact with representatives for
cornerback Sam Madison (Miami) and defensive end Darren Howard on
* The Cleveland Browns would like to work out a contract extension for
running back Reuben Droughns, but talks have been slow with minimal
progress. If negotiations prove to be difficult, the team is expected to
turn to Jamal Lewis (Baltimore) as insurance and depth heading towards
the 2006 season. Contract talks between the team and offensive left
tackle L.J. Shelton are progressing well, with a 50-50 chance a deal
will be in place by Friday's free agent player signing period.
* Seattle's offensive guard Hutchinson is going to garner some significant
interest, as the team expects. The Seahawks' front office anticipates
Hutchinson will receive an offer geared to force the team's hand, and
the Seahawks are poised to match any offer. The team would like to
retain potential free agent running back Shaun Alexander, but are
insistent they are not going to extend an offer averaging eight-million
dollars a season for the life of the deal.
Free Agency Rumor Mill Cranks Up
CowboysHQ Top Stories
'Citizen Kane' + Ranking NFL Players + ExecsOn 'Citizen Kane' And The Madness Of 'Ranking' Cowboys Players And NFL Front Offices
CowboysHQYesterday at 4:28 AM
Cowboys QB Coach Wilson On Dak + RomoDallas Cowboys QB Coach Wade Wilson Dishes On Dak, Kellen, Kaep, Romo + 'Being 90 Percent'
CowboysHQFriday at 4:35 AM
Cowboys X-O's: Switzer Key To Unlock OffenseDallas Cowboys Grease Board: WR Ryan Switzer As An X-And-O's Key To Unlocking Offense
CowboysHQThursday at 6:26 AM
Cowboys OTAs: Your All-Access PassDallas Cowboys OTAs: Your All-Access Pass Inside The Star
CowboysHQWednesday at 12:45 PM
Cowboys RB Elliott Sidelined After Car WreckStreet-Legal: Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott Sidelined After Minor Car Wreck
CowboysHQWednesday at 12:14 PM